Trick to replacing center ac vent on 96 LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally getting tired of the broken center ac vent that also houses the digital clock. I ordered a replacement and it looks like it should just pull out. Assembly appears to be held in by 6 pressure clips. Am I missing or assuming too much? Do not want to damage the dash by an improper removal.

Tom

Use a very flexible thin putty knife to push the clip upward on the bottom side. Be very careful not to put too much
pressure on your dash on the bottom side of the vent or the dash will develop hairline cracks and you'll have a
worse problem. Ask me how I know that.

Done. Center ac vent popped out with some gentle persuasion. Disconnected power to the clock. Removed two screws holding the clock on. Cleaned the clock face. Put clock on to new center piece. Connected power and popped center piece back in without any damage. Thanks for help.
Tom

Yeah gentle persuasion is key to getting the center one out out without marring the dash, Harbor Freight carries an inexpensive set of plastic trim tools that helps, but it still requires some patience to work it out!

Do the other vents just pop out to replace or do you have to get behind dash?

Do the other vents just pop out to replace or do you have to get behind dash?
They all pop out. The driver side ones have 2 screws on the top that have to be removed first and the upper trim around the steering wheel/ignition lock has to be removed first though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom