Trick to refill coolant? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I dropped my coolant, have to flush and refill before winter gets here. Any tips to avoid getting an airbubble in the system? I remember something about running it while refilling it and having the nose up...? Cant remember.

Yeah drive up on some ramps with the with the passenger side higher than the drivers side so the radiator inlet is higher than everything else. Turn on the heater on high with the back on too. Leave the cap off while it warms up.You can bouce the truck to help the bubbles come out faster.

NocalFJ60 said:
Yeah drive up on some ramps with the with the passenger side higher than the drivers side so the radiator inlet is higher than everything else. Turn on the heater on high with the back on too. You can bouce the truck to help the bubble come out faster.

Thanks!

oh s***. what happens if you dont do that?

ive put a little peice of 3/8 hose through the fill cap, and into the body of the rad.
that way , i can use a funnel , and not have the burping issue.

hullendersauce said:
oh s***. what happens if you dont do that?

There is just the chance air pockets are in the cooling system. The air pockets do not allow cooling of the wall there so you get hot spots.

hammer1 said:
ive put a little peice of 3/8 hose through the fill cap, and into the body of the rad.
that way , i can use a funnel , and not have the burping issue.

That helps get air out of the radiator but what about air in the block and head. That is why I think raising the front helps.The bubble slowly move out of the block or to the highest spot which is the filler inlet where they can vent.

NocalFJ60 said:
There is just the chance air pockets are in the cooling system. The air pockets do not allow cooling of the wall there so you get hot spots.

what do "hot spots" do? should i flush and fill again? about a month ago, before winter hit, i wanted to flush my radiator, and refill. well, i did exactly what the bottle said. but i just threw a hose on it, and filled it throught the top of the radiator. i ran it for awhile, and then topped off my reservoir. should i go back and drain it again??? i just dumped a crap load of $ into it, hoping it would get me throught the winter ok. i dont need any unnecessary problems with the upcomming winter. -other sean

Put a prestone flush T in the heater hose near the heat control valve - makes venting the air easy.

hullendersauce said:
what do "hot spots" do? should i flush and fill again? about a month ago, before winter hit, i wanted to flush my radiator, and refill. well, i did exactly what the bottle said. but i just threw a hose on it, and filled it throught the top of the radiator. i ran it for awhile, and then topped off my reservoir. should i go back and drain it again??? i just dumped a crap load of $ into it, hoping it would get me throught the winter ok. i dont need any unnecessary problems with the upcomming winter. -other sean

You shouldn't have to flush and fill it again. You should just be able to drive it up on the ramps, or a steep hill, and run it with the cap off, heaters on. As it runs and the thermostat opens up you should see the level drop. The all ya do is slowly add in some more, might wanna use a funnel cause the fan will blow it around, and it sucks to get it in your eye. Then once you top it off you should be fine, you can always check your over flow bottle, it should have some in there but not too full. Then you should be good to go, be sure your ratio of coolant to water is right also..being out there in colorado it'll freeze the water in your radiator if your mixture isn't correct. Good Luck

You'll want to check the level after a few days as well as a few "warm up" cycles will expel more air over the days to come.

I ended up intalling a flushing T up high on the hose going into the heater core. When I refilled I had the engine running, all heaters on and started filling with the T open. I closed it when I got coolant running out of it and finished filling it. I hope I got it this way :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom