Trick to getting A-pillar garnish off without damaging it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, I have a full arsenal of interior panel pry tools, and usually do not have any trouble taking panels and trim pieces off without damaging them...but the trick to these A-pillar garnish pieces on the 80 eludes me. No matter what I do, I can not get them off without damaging them. The top clip thing is just too tenacious!

What I've been doing is trying to pry the trim piece with one of those forked shaped tools straddling the top clip. I'm currently sporting brand new L and R garnishes because I trashed my original ones while doing my speaker and weatherstripping job on the doors. I'd like to know how to remove these things properly for the next time I need to get inside the doors.

What's the trick? What am I doing wrong?

20140820_194732.jpg

I've taken mine off several times without damaging them using a flat head screwdriver. I rolled the window down all the way and then gently wiggled a flat head between the trim piece and the weatherstripping. I then get it right next to the post that locks it onto the door and use my fingers to pull the trim back as I use my other hand to pry it off with the screwdriver.

I used a flat blade plastic trim tool to get mine off without issue.

I broke mine and had to buy new ones. :doh:

Getting it off requires a bit of violence. For me, getting it back on was the issue, like usual in AZ, plastic retaining clips get brittle and break.

Getting it off requires a bit of violence. For me, getting it back on was the issue, like usual in AZ, plastic retaining clips get brittle and break.

Ha, getting it off was the easy part for me...except the breaking them part...which then generated the violence! :bang:

I've taken mine off several times without damaging them using a flat head screwdriver. I rolled the window down all the way and then gently wiggled a flat head between the trim piece and the weatherstripping. I then get it right next to the post that locks it onto the door and use my fingers to pull the trim back as I use my other hand to pry it off with the screwdriver.

Thanks. So I make sure I understand you correctly, you slide the screwdriver in from the rear, get it right next to that top clip thing (not the two bottom plastic tabs), then use your other hand to just kind of yank on the thing on the sides of where that upper clip is? Does it come off smoothly or more of a pop?

I've broken both of mine, even though I was very patient and using proper tools. I have a new set sitting on the shelf but prefer to hoard them. I may build a pair out of mild steel...a cool place for a gps mount perhaps?

I keep two spares due to Texas heat and have broken one so far using a screwdriver. I have not broke one yet using a large panel clip tool. Once you get it off you will learn where the best place to pry from the next time.

I've broken both of mine, even though I was very patient and using proper tools. I have a new set sitting on the shelf but prefer to hoard them. I may build a pair out of mild steel...a cool place for a gps mount perhaps?

That is a cool idea. Definitely post it up if you decide to do that.

I broke my drivers, bought a new one then broke the new one a week later. Get's pricey at $13 a pop (no pun intended). That top clip where it goes into the Red socket just wouldn't let go. I epoxied a small rare earth magnet to the broken tab on the cover itself and it grabs onto the metal without any issues now and comes right off when needed. I'm adding YodaTeq's mirror light mounts soon so I'm glad I went with the magnet. I'm sure the passenger side is going to break and get a magnet too.

On the bright side, when I broke the new one then promptly generated violence by throwing the piece of new garbage across the garage, it didn't break! :)

That's a great idea.

I broke my drivers, bought a new one then broke the new one a week later. Get's pricey at $13 a pop (no pun intended). That top clip where it goes into the Red socket just wouldn't let go. I epoxied a small rare earth magnet to the broken tab on the cover itself and it grabs onto the metal without any issues now and comes right off when needed. I'm adding YodaTeq's mirror light mounts soon so I'm glad I went with the magnet. I'm sure the passenger side is going to break and get a magnet too.

I tried them in metal, they hold tight, in fact, too tight. Nearly impossible to remove. Metal with dip in rubber'ish substance wasn't any better. Once you solve the OEM cardboard issue, you no longer have the issue with the red trim pieces. If you go with a metal clip, you will leave marks if you ever try to remove it.

How about a single screw into the hole where the red socket is...or a magnet?

...via IH8MUD app

Thanks. So I make sure I understand you correctly, you slide the screwdriver in from the rear, get it right next to that top clip thing (not the two bottom plastic tabs), then use your other hand to just kind of yank on the thing on the sides of where that upper clip is? Does it come off smoothly or more of a pop?
That's about right, except I use the screwdriver mainly to pry it off and just add as much tension as possible with my fingers. I do it real quick, like yanking a bandaid off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom