Tremec TR-4050 Transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, this is a for a 1973 FJ40 that has already been converted to front disk brakes. I will replacing the entire drive train and building a four link front and rear with ARB Lockers. I have a set of ICON 17" Wheels with 35" Tires. The lift will be as minimal as I can get away with, but I will need to cut the fenders, which is okay since the tub I purchased already had them cut.

4 link front? That should be interesting if you are going with a normal steering box. Is it a true 4 link or a parallel 4 link (5 link)?

4 link front? That should be interesting if you are going with a normal steering box. Is it a true 4 link or a parallel 4 link (5 link)?
Don't know yet. On my other build I went with a manual steering box and an electric power steering unit from City Racer. The mocked up four link is tight but I am monkeying around with eliminating a good deal of the steering components if I can get the 79-84 Hilux Ram Horn Steering arm to work. This would potential eliminate a lot of the clutter up front (if it works). I might have bit off more than I can chew. We will see.

My guess is that by the time I am done I would have wished I had put one of those Electric Motors in :oops:

Don't know yet. On my other build I went with a manual steering box and an electric power steering unit from City Racer. The mocked up four link is tight but I am monkeying around with eliminating a good deal of the steering components if I can get the 79-84 Hilux Ram Horn Steering arm to work. This would potential eliminate a lot of the clutter up front (if it works). I might have bit off more than I can chew. We will see.

My guess is that by the time I am done I would have wished I had put one of those Electric Motors in :oops:

Only problem I see with that is all the bump steer you will get out of a true 4 link and a manual steering box. I would go with a 3 link or parallel 4 link, but why bother with the extra link.

Only problem I see with that is all the bump steer you will get out of a true 4 link and a manual steering box. I would go with a 3 link or parallel 4 link, but why bother with the extra link.
Good point. I will probably be starting another Build Thread for this one in the next few weeks, so I will keep you posted as to what comes about. I will probably be asking for more input as well.

Luckily it seems like I have found a guy who knows a hell of a lot more than I do about these down here in San Diego. Going to meet with him tomorrow.

I'll be interested to see what he comes up with.

Ok, so I met with the guy and he does four links on FJ40’s. Obviously there are some compromises. Auxiliary Fuel tank is nearly impossible and the steering box needs to move, but here is what I saw…
8711718D-003B-4E94-AE1A-88AFF092205C.jpeg
B0B6CAFE-0414-4D72-8752-B20C02AE24CF.jpeg
1BA32239-AB3B-489C-98F7-3378A7EC132C.jpeg
ED1E41F7-3FBF-4B5A-B1CC-55A0AA5D9CE5.jpeg
2E940D45-890C-43FB-A8B6-44C7DF7CA2FA.jpeg

A serious 4-link doesn't seem to go along with manual steering using a j-arm steering arm. Most mini-truck guys who wheeled thier trucks ended up replacing them. Puts a lot of stress on four small studs on top of the knuckle.

He is full hydro, and therefore can be four linked safely. I'd really recommend a 3 link in the front to keep it safely road-worthy, especially if you are planning to drive at speeds a lot with a manual steering box. Full hydro isn't really safe for the road either.

He is full hydro, and therefore can be four linked safely. I'd really recommend a 3 link in the front to keep it safely road-worthy, especially if you are planning to drive at speeds a lot with a manual steering box. Full hydro isn't really safe for the road either.
Ok thanks. I am driving the one in the pics next week. Says it goes 80 on the highway with very little travel. We will see.

Also, in the 3rd picture, is that a different rig? it looks like a parallel 4 link with a manual box in that picture, but all the others look like full hydro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom