Builds Treebeard (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Today I replaced the exhaust, cleaned cleaned cleaned, and replaced the side cover gasket. About that...

1. I didn’t check before putting it on... is the side gasket directional? Do I need any sealants to go with the gasket?
2. Two of the side cover bolts broke while coming off. They’re in spots that are accessible when the engine is in the truck and they’re not close to each other. Should I try pulling them out myself or drive it to a shop? Don’t want to mess those up...

@ntdb i just went thru the same thing on my 40 build.

center punch as close to center on the bolt. Start with small drill bits and move up slowly.

get a torx bit and tap into hole. Reverse out with a ratchet, add heat from a torch if necessary.

Side cover is directional, ithas a thicker and thinner long side. You will see that it corresponds to the block.

shoot me a message if you have mo’ questions. 🤟🏻

@ntdb
Side cover is directional, ithas a thicker and thinner long side. You will see that it corresponds to the block.

Is it directional in that there’s a side that’s meant to face the block and a side that’s meant to face the cover? Thankfully the bolt patterns are different on the top and bottom so I know I got that right. :)

Is it directional in that there’s a side that’s meant to face the block and a side that’s meant to face the cover? Thankfully the bolt patterns are different on the top and bottom so I know I got that right. :)

One long side is thicker and one is thinner. If the bolt pattern went on with no issues the II think you will be fine.

Good advice above, also the key to removing broken bolts is to go slooooooow and “feel” things cutting and moving smoothly. It’s actually quite easy to break off the removal devices....that’s when the real circus and butt clenching begins. 🤡

Well... no luck removing bolt #1. Very frustrating and discouraging. Started by drilling a hole in the bolt with a cobalt bit then used an extractor set to try to grab it and pull it out. It never did catch and now I’m running out of material to work with. Am tempted to try to find someone to come out and tap it for an m10 bolt and get this over with. I’m not enjoying it. :)

FFA2E178-4C0A-43EB-9943-C5E026DEF4BA.jpeg

Well... no luck removing bolt #1. Very frustrating and discouraging. Started by drilling a hole in the bolt with a cobalt bit then used an extractor set to try to grab it and pull it out. It never did catch and now I’m running out of material to work with. Am tempted to try to find someone to come out and tap it for an m10 bolt and get this over with. I’m not enjoying it. :)

View attachment 2246436
I assume they're m10x1.25 which means you need an 8.9mm drilled hole to retap, it's quite easy to do yourself and you've got the tools for next time something happens

A new question for the group...

My new engine is from an 87 FJ60 so it has the newer style clutch slave and mount. AFAIK my clutch cylinders are fine... could I use my 84 bellhousing and clutch fork with my existing clutch slave? What's the likelihood that I'll regret not swapping in the new slave at a later date?

Today: replaced '84/292k fuel lines with '87/165k fuel lines, removed fuel tank, paid a mechanic to remove the broken side cover bolts (clean to 6mm even after breaking a tap in the block), and replaced the side cover.

Tomorrow: finish reassembling the engine (dizzy, oil filter, alternator, '84 bellhousing, '87 clutch/flywheel) and bolt it into the frame/trans??!! I'm also hoping to clean the exterior of the fuel tank and start a rust bath on the interior.

Today: replaced '84/292k fuel lines with '87/165k fuel lines, removed fuel tank, paid a mechanic to remove the broken side cover bolts (clean to 6mm even after breaking a tap in the block), and replaced the side cover.

Tomorrow: finish reassembling the engine (dizzy, oil filter, alternator, '84 bellhousing, '87 clutch/flywheel) and bolt it into the frame/trans??!! I'm also hoping to clean the exterior of the fuel tank and start a rust bath on the interior.

get it son! Nice work.

Treebeard is aliiive! I got the truck to idle today... at 1400 RPM. I was able to dial it back to about 1000rpm with the choke out but it was starting to sputter. Tomorrow I’ll up the idle a bit more so it’s happy, do the timing, and go from there. The project just entered a much louder stage and I am so for it. I’m strongly hoping for a first post-transplant drive this week.

Congratulations
I remember my first drive after my engine swap. All the time and money finally pays off.

Though turning the key the first time after all that work is a little tense.

I was curious, so just to be safe I looked up the average annual rainfall in Olympia, Washington...it’s over 53” of rain per year! Even worse, it rains over 160 days per year. That’s about every-other-day! In Texas we call that a “Sauna in a Rain Forrest”? Combine the astonishing amount of rainfall plus your opening statement that “it’s been sitting outside under a tree for three years” and my only advice is “Torfab have at it”! There’s one virus worse than Covid and it’s known as the FJ60 Bug! It can’t kill’ya but it’ll sure give you all the symptoms of wishing you were DEAD!

I’m just fun’in with ya! Get that land locked Tuna up and run’in and you’ll be the proudest and most experienced “Wrencher” of anyone in this forum. Give her Hell man!

I was curious, so just to be safe I looked up the average annual rainfall in Olympia, Washington...it’s over 53” of rain per year! Even worse, it rains over 160 days per year. That’s about every-other-day! In Texas we call that a “Sauna in a Rain Forrest”? Combine the astonishing amount of rainfall plus your opening statement that “it’s been sitting outside under a tree for three years” and my only advice is “Torfab have at it”! There’s one virus worse than Covid and it’s known as the FJ60 Bug! It can’t kill’ya but it’ll sure give you all the symptoms of wishing you were DEAD!

Haha I insist that it's in surprisingly good shape despite the wet. Actually the moisture has preserved my headlight washer reservoir very well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom