Builds Treebeard (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tonight I finished draining the radiator; removed the power steering pump, smog pump, and alternator; and unbolted the AC compressor. I don’t know whether or not the AC is charged but I suspect I’ll need to get someone to come discharge it for me. I also tried removing the headers but definitely need a different set of wrenches to make that happen.

Tonight I finished draining the radiator; removed the power steering pump, smog pump, and alternator; and unbolted the AC compressor. I don’t know whether or not the AC is charged but I suspect I’ll need to get someone to come discharge it for me. I also tried removing the headers but definitely need a different set of wrenches to make that happen.

you might need a torch on hand to heat things up if bolts or nuts are not turning.

get someone to come discharge it for me
Just slowly crack the nuts and when it starts hissing walk away. So far so good for me and that’s all I did. Mine only hissed for under a minute.

removing the headers
50/50 mix of acetone and atf works great for releasing rust esp w/ heat. The mix gets sucked right in when you heat up the bolts. And add a length of pipe to the end of your wrench handle. Go slow and they’ll loosen.

50/50 mix of acetone and atf works great for releasing rust esp w/ heat. The mix gets sucked right in when you heat up the bolts. And add a length of pipe to the end of your wrench handle. Go slow and they’ll loosen.

there’s a trick where you heat the bolt up and then melt a wax candle into the threads and it’s suppose to get it free. We tried it but didn’t have any luck.

The bolts rotate... along with the nut. :) I just need another crescent wrench and some patience. They’ve gotten the PB treatment several times in the last week.

Tonight I removed the fan, fan shroud, distributor, and igniter. I also drained the oil from the engine and the last of the coolant in the oil cooler. My engine bay is absolutely filthy... I’m going to need to spend a couple of hours on there with simple green and a brush before I put the new engine in.

Do I have to remove the AC condenser in order to get the radiator out? Is it safe to remove the AC condenser/dryer/compressor if the system is depressurized?

55DA0FCA-50A1-43B7-89D1-07D570C21D30.jpeg

FF6E5EAA-0447-4EF9-A64E-0F9F504F9EA1.jpeg

Yes, just pull it all. The condenser won’t come until you’ve disconnected the compressor lines. Remember to double label all the hardware. A piece of paper in the bag and on the bag. Sometimes I’ll squirt the hardware in the bag too since it’ll be closed up for awhile. Lay it all out in a file box lid.

The bolts rotate... along with the nut. :) I just need another crescent wrench and some patience. They’ve gotten the PB treatment several times in the last week.

Tonight I removed the fan, fan shroud, distributor, and igniter. I also drained the oil from the engine and the last of the coolant in the oil cooler. My engine bay is absolutely filthy... I’m going to need to spend a couple of hours on there with simple green and a brush before I put the new engine in.

Do I have to remove the AC condenser in order to get the radiator out? Is it safe to remove the AC condenser/dryer/compressor if the system is depressurized?

View attachment 2236428

View attachment 2236429
If the whole stud come out when you turn the nut that's ok, you can get new studs and nuts.

Yes, just pull it all. Remember to double label all the hardware. A piece of paper in the bag and on the bag.

Excellent labeling advice, can’t recommend this enough. Doing a recent job on mine I bagged and labeled everything...wish I would’ve been a little more detailed on labeling/bagging.
Also good to put bright green/blue painters tape on and label all electric connectors ends, so glad I did this.

You will not remember exactly what goes where.

Also, I have a pro tip for anyone trying to unbolt the transmission without removing the front driveshaft or the transfer case. You want a long socket extension and a light! I was able to guide the extension onto the bolt by looking through the gap between the transmission and the front driveshaft. The lower of the two bolts came out relatively easily with an extension and a wobble.

228849FE-B5D9-4895-9007-AE876103B198_1_105_c.jpeg
BB7FF11C-1834-4608-B08E-A88A6575DE6C_1_105_c.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom