Treating Rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, could I please get some suggestions for treating very minor surface rust. What I'm thinking right now is sanding away paint until smooth, spraying on phosphoric acid, wiping and sanding all rust away, then putting on primer. I will do it all in sections, and then once everything is primered, it will get a one step paint job.

rust converter that seconds as a primer works great. I use Corroseal water-based rust converter.

How much rust? If your keeping a patina look, wire wheel it to break any loose scale then use the phosphoric acid. If you’re going to do a repaint, sand back the surrounding paint, then sand, wire wheel or spot sandblast it out then use a good direct to metal primer. The rust covering primers work well, just be mindful they may react if you are doing a paint job over them.

Phosphoric acid is pretty aggressive. It will get it clean, but may take a couple thou or ten of base metal.

I and many, many others have had good experience removing rust with CLR (50/50 mix with water in a spray bottle) and light scrubbing with a Brillo pad. It should remove surface rust and maintain paint if your gentle enough. Works on everything up til you need a welder.

Phosphoric acid is pretty aggressive. It will get it clean, but may take a couple thou or ten of base metal.

I and many, many others have had good experience removing rust with CLR (50/50 mix with water in a spray bottle) and light scrubbing with a Brillo pad. It should remove surface rust and maintain paint if your gentle enough. Works on everything up til you need a welder.

So, will the CLR mix also remove some paint along with the rust?? Or should I sand away the paint and hopefully a bit of rust, and then use the CLR mix on the rust?? Thanks!! Also, do you have any suggestions for a chemical treatment after the rust is gone, so then it doesn’t come back for a while? Thank you

So, will the CLR mix also remove some paint along with the rust?? Or should I sand away the paint and hopefully a bit of rust, and then use the CLR mix on the rust?? Thanks!! Also, do you have any suggestions for a chemical treatment after the rust is gone, so then it doesn’t come back for a while? Thank you

Clr wont hurt the paint. The Brillo pad will scratch paint eventually.

Over time an oxidation film is developed on the paint that fads the color. Light scrubbing with clr/Brillo will remove and bring back a brighter color. Scrubbing is a balance of removing rust /paint-oxidation and not damaging paint.

Photo of before/after with clr&brillow on tire carrier comparison:
AF592F6B-C034-43EE-854D-BEFDE3A5F304.jpeg
325FBEDC-EFD0-4375-A651-09103C69E898.jpeg

I like a little rust, so I left some on. I could have kept scrubbing and removed more. If you want to remove 100% of rust, I would still recommend clr&brillow with touch up of phosphoric acid (navel jelly).

To prevent rust, people use fluid film or woolwax based coatings (check amazon). Apply once a year. Rubberized coatings like bedliner are notorious for rusting out, so I recommend staying away.

Clr wont hurt the paint. The Brillo pad will scratch paint eventually.

Over time an oxidation film is developed on the paint that fads the color. Light scrubbing with clr/Brillo will remove and bring back a brighter color. Scrubbing is a balance of removing rust /paint-oxidation and not damaging paint.

Photo of before/after with clr&brillow on tire carrier comparison:
View attachment 2465153View attachment 2465154
I like a little rust, so I left some on. I could have kept scrubbing and removed more. If you want to remove 100% of rust, I would still recommend clr&brillow with touch up of phosphoric acid (navel jelly).

To prevent rust, people use fluid film or woolwax based coatings (check amazon). Apply once a year. Rubberized coatings like bedliner are notorious for rusting out, so I recommend staying away.

Thank you! I’m planning to probably remove the paint all together, because at some point the PO tried painting another color.

You can do that with clr/Brillo if you want to try to keep original paint. There have been a number of people that have had success doing that.
If you don’t want to keep original paint, just get a sand blaster. Way faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom