Treating rust inside roof rails (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The previous owner stored my bj60 outside for a year with the stock roof rack removed and the rivnut attachment holes open. So for a year rain was getting in. The good part is that this is pure water. The bad part is that it started rusting in the roof pinch welds. It isn't rot, it's just minor surface rust. But like cancer it will grow if I don't properly address it. You can't get easy access into these areas because they are enclosed but they have several access holes.

If I spray oil based rust inhibitor in, that will prevent me from doing any further rust treatment without a major degreasing session. So I want to do this right. I am thinking I'll drill a few more access ports. This shouldn't compromise it structurally. The I'll blow out all the accumulated crap along with a rough treatment from a stiff wire brush like a chimney pipe.

Then I'll have to clean it. I was thinking of the KSB 3 step system. It has a water based cleaner that you use. The important part is that it seeps through all the cracks of the pinch weld that I can't get mechanical access to. Or maybe the POR degreaser, that stuff is really good.

Then I'll wash it out with water and let thoroughly dry in the summer heat. Then they have their converter step which I can spray in. Again the important part is that it seeps everywhere. After this you need to rinse with water again. My concern us that it will take time for the pinch welds to dry and the rust may start again.

Then paint it. They include paint in their system but I could use something else, maybe Eastwood.

Then after several weeks when it's all hardened up I could spray in oil based rust inhibitor.

Any comments?

I think your idea to treat with paint first and then oil later is good, but oil may creep out and show up on your headliner down the road. The key thing will be parking indoors and keeping rain/condensate from hitting the roof, running into the gutter and pillars, and finding its way back in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom