Undercarriage Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking good. This was the truck that was put together by a supposedly reputable shop beforehand right?

Throw some 4-degree caster shims in the front springs. That will transform the steering.
Yeah same one, I think I’ve gotten most of the issues fixed. If I recall the caster after new kit was at -2 and he said he’d have to add the shim. I don’t know the degree of it but it’s about a half inch at tall side. If I recall he said he wanted to put it at +2. Rides good until you put weight in it but I think this is toe in but I don’t know. When I installed my tie rods I made sure the ball tensioner was tight and backed off a turn and codder pinned. Shop said they set toe at 1/32 should I go measure to make sure, is this where I need to be looking? I know they’re too many variables. But all new stuff, maybe I should have gone with stiffer shocks? OME 60009 and 60065 front and rear. This suspension is exact part numbers as the previous set I took off and it did not feel mushy like this with only 300lbs in back

Ok if you're at -2 then put 6-degree shims in

Ok if you're at -2 then put 6-degree shims in
Update: took it back to suspension shop and they checked their alignment and I mentioned your comment about 4* and the mechanic said he set it to 1.5 because the FSM I handed him only allowed 1 max 1.5.

I took it to him with 300lbs of sand bags in back to simulate my current trip and he said that brought the caster to 2. He said take the trip and report back, if I don’t like they can take it to 4.

So the icing was the tie rods I installed tension screw on end was tightened to stop and 3/4 back off. The screw backed off. But what puzzles me is why manufacturered full tight is a good 1/8 inch away from the screw resting against to codder pin. Mechanic said stack washers between once tightened to keep the space filled between pin and screw face. The steering was all the slop.

Driving ok now, just broke down in Hobbs on the way to Cuba NM to take the NWBDR route down to Los Cruces. The original issue I had when I bought it and drive home showed back up half way there. Laid up in hotel now waiting on mechanic to arrive in am. Have to start a separate post…

alright I'll repeat it for a third time and then quit wasting my time, if your caster was -2 degrees put 6 degree shims in it, anything else you're doing like cranking the hell out of your relay rod, putting sandbags in the back etc is a complete waste of time.

Also it sounds like you are not communicating accurately with your mechanic or he is either clueless or lying

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom