Treadwright News-315's in the near future (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trapper50cal

TEQ Frame of Mind
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Okay,

Independent of what your opinion is about retreads, I recently emailed Treadwright a question:

Hi folks,

I've heard some good things about your tires

any chance you will make a 295/75/R16 or a 315/75/R16?
the 285's are just a bit too small...

Are there limitations to the process or equipment that make
you have to stop at 285 (33's)?

Elodie Hawkins from Treadwright responded:

Hello Jt,
Thank you for your interest in our tires! We are happy to announce we will be offering a 315/75r16 in the guard dog tread coming this fall! The price on this tire is $140.00 excluding shipping. We will post these and make them available through the website as soon as possible. Please check back in the fall!
Regards,
Elodie

The Guard Dog is this tire:

551t.jpg

By trapper50cal at 2010-04-16

At $140 a corner, I have a hard time not at least trying them. But then I'm in Durango and go 60 mph twice a week.

If anyone out there is currently running these, post your impressions here.

About Time,

I've e-mailed them twice and they always got back to me quick. Friendly guy. The last time was about adding a 315 size. I think that is a good choice for them business wise but wish they would offer more tires. I'm a big fan of the OTR which is now called the howler. Had it on my 4-runner and they were not loud at all. I bet this MTR is much noiser if it is anything like it's Goodyear Copy..the Howler wasn't anywhere near as loud as this. I also have their BFG AT's on my F-250 and they have been excellent so far at 10K miles.

I just can't wait until the fall though. I'm in the should have bought them weeks ago category and I need an aggressive AT for DD and the mud down here. But at 660 (with shipping) VS the almost 1K I'm about to drop I would much rather.

Thank you for the update. When the comparable option exists I will buy retreads from this company for as long as the exist and continue to do good business. They have come up in price a tad bit in the last few years that I've been tracking them though (relation to other tires and inflation accounted for).

I had a set from them in 315's a couple years ago trying to save a buck. They were absolutely horrible under 60 mph with vibes and noise. They were actually better on the highway. What a horrible investment for trying to save $50-60 per tire over new. Picture the worst set pf bias swampers and these were that bad. Maybe the new ones will be better, but not a place to save a couple hunderd IMO.

I have a set of their 285 BFG AT style tires on the wife's truck. So far (and they don't have many miles on them), no complaints. They mounted and balanced very well (the tire guys were surprised, they went on easier than some new tires) and no problems on the road so far.

My only complaint is that they have a very noticeable hum at 45 MPH, but that seems to be going away as they break in.

Treadwrights customer service was excellent as well. I requested BFG carcases, they did not have enough to fill my order in the D range and offered to use E range to get my order out that day. I went ahead and used the E range, very stiff but not horrible (and actually nice when we tow).

So far so good, we'll see how I like 'em in a year.

I too have had tremendous service with Treadwright - in fact I'm ordering a 2nd set this week.

I've got the 285 Guarddog one on my FJ40...and they're not too loud. Unfortunately, the FJ40 isn't heavy enough to make the E rated tires relax - it's still a pretty stiff ride.

I'll be transferring the 285's to my FZJ80 and running the 315's on my 40....figured they're worth the wait!

I'll post up pics and info once they become available and I get 'em installed!

I saw in my Diesel Power Magaizine I got this week that the 315 is finally available. Yet I did not see it on their website. (Edit...just went on and it says delayed until SEPT 23rd....ummmm didn't that already pass?) Little late as I alread got the KM2's but glad there is options for the future and to give those over priced new tire companies a run for their money.

Then again you think about the service you get out of a tire today that you did 50 years ago and they are probably worth the coin.

I havent gone anywhere with my RTT since the weekend you rolled for fear of something awful happening. Thanks for clarifying that you had these crappy retreads on the truck when this happened.

I care to much for my family and own life to save a few bucks on junk that endangers everyone on the road. Its too bad you got stuck with these from the PO.

Just to play the devils advocate on this. Ive seen lots of blowouts on lots of different types of tires. I do understand your position, of course, and I am sorry that happened. I am glad your family is ok. But it seems harsh for everyone to condemn the entire company for one incident. If that were the case, I would not be able to buy bfg's, swampers, or toyo tires because I have seen all of these have similar blow outs. Luckily, like this time, no one was seriously injured in any of them.

I agree that any tire can blow at anytime. I don't see where anyone is attempting to " condemn the entire company for one incident", it is about making an informed decision, knowing the risks.

Retreads are used tires, they have already worn one tread surface off and had a new one put on. Tires are designed to be consumable/disposable product, last the life of the tread. When retreaded, the carcass is being used twice as long as it's original design life.

Tires are a vulcanized/heat cured product. With age and heat cycling the rubber becomes harder, has less adhesive properties, chunks easier, etc. Older tires are more likely to have disbonding/delamination issues. This is one of the reasons a lot of tire stores will not warranty tires over 4 years old. Obviously not every old tire has issues, but the chance is higher.

For what I expect from my tires on the '80, I would not run retreads. They run into rocks, often run aired down, see long distances at highway speed in desert conditions, in other words abused, look like hell when the first tread is gone.

Old tires are an issue on wheeling rigs, especially when not daily drivers. We have had several come apart on the highway and the one thing they had in common was age. The latest was a MTR, 37x12.5-15 on a spring over '60. The tires looked great, good tread, etc, the left front exploded on the highway, wild ride!:eek: The date code is 2002.

attachment.php

I agree with Kevin's POV. While I'm not against running retreads I won't run another set of 315's from Treadwright until they have worked through the quality issues with the previous Dunlop MT tread series.

As Kevin mentioned date codes, they are one of the key aspects folks forget to consider. I'm just as guilty as the next person. I say that because when I purchased my set of 315's in 2008 I was more concerned about obtaining a matching set of five tires. What I ended up with was the oldest tire was manufactured in 2001 and the newest was manufactured in 2006. That's a significant difference in age when you consider the exposure to ozone and UV.

One additional note...Their warranty appears to have changed and possibly for the better. When I purchased my set they did not warranty tires considered to be 35"+. I had a tire go bad within the first year with less than 10k miles as a direct result of the prep process for the retread application and they would not warranty it. Although not a catastrophic failure, finding it completely flat after work and it was fine before is unacceptable and should have been covered.

With that being said if you elect to make the purchase please inquire about the tire DOM for your safety and ours. I see no reason they should be unwilling to accept a customer's conditional purchase based on the age of the casing. Also be sure to confirm whether or not the 35"+ tires are now covered under warranty for the 2yr/24k miles.

Well, I had another very successful day of wheeling on my Treadwrights! Wheeled the hell out of 'em at 10psi, over rocks, through streams, over boulders - just wheeled 'em like they're meant to be. They stand up to a tremendous amount of off-road abuse.

Most of the damaged tire carcasses on the side of the road are due to 2 things - Improper tire pressure, and failure to maintain them. Blowouts do occur, and accidents are most unfortunate- CarCar, I'm glad that your family is okay after your roll-over.

Treadwright is one of numerous retread mfg's and I'd put 'em right in line with new tires. I have 100% retreads on all of my over-the-road semi trucks and trailers....and have never had a recap failure due to manufacturing.

In fact, I just purchased another set of the GuardDogs from Treadwright for my 80. They'll be here on Weds!

Last edited:
my Gaurd Dog 285's have gone 14,000miles with no problems. They drive straight with no hands on the wheel, and are smooth. I keep 45psi in them all for general driven. With that much psi i did get stuck on the beach and inadvertently aired them down to 8psi on stock wheels without a psi gauge and had to drive about 10 miles and they stayed on.

As for the role over mentioned above I'm a travel RN and work in Intensive Care Units in Hospitals all over the country. I see the reprocussions of many car wrecks. I have also taken a few physics classes. So take heed " If you don't want to roll your car while on the road slow the f--k down."

As for the role over mentioned above I'm a travel RN and work in Intensive Care Units in Hospitals all over the country. I see the reprocussions of many car wrecks. I have also taken a few physics classes. So take heed " If you don't want to roll your car while on the road slow the f--k down."

Not entirely sure where this comment is directed at, or your implied intent, but we were traveling at 70 mph in the travel lane on the straight, flat stretch of highway where the speed limit was 75 mph. Again, we were maintaining proper air pressure, and they had been re-balanced as PM prior to departing on our trip.

Neither the PO nor us, to the point of sudden catastrophic failure, had had any issues with the tires either. I just wanted to make known to others, that Treadwrights can fail just as any other tire can, and just to be careful and diligent as possible in watching out for failure. I always want to make the best informed decision, and always try to weigh positive and negative factors and user experiences, so I am simply contributing my experiences. Take it or leave it.

In fact, I would have no problem running these again on a dedicated trail rig, but, I would not be willing to run them on the street on a DD at freeway speeds. Knee-jerk? Maybe. But I'm not willing to tempt fate again with my family's safety. I know what I experienced is the exception, and not the norm, but logically, retreads are a shortcut, a way to get by for a little bit cheaper. As stated earlier, tires are initally manufactured as a disposable product, designed with a certain lifespan, and by re-treading, you are essentially requiring those tires to double their lifespan.

Again, I only posted up my experience as addition information to factor in when making your decision. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom