1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Treadmill repair service?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by VTFJ40, Jul 12, 2005.

1. VTFJ40

VTFJ40

Is there such a thing?

I called "treadmill doctor" and they just want to sell me a new one, or they want me to pay for consultation over the phone??? WTF??? Are there any real repairmen for residential equipment?

The wife runs 1 marathon every 6 months is training for an ultra.
    She burns up one a year.

Treadmill is in Northern VA. Any Ideas?

2. Cube Dweller

Cube Dweller Moderator

1. Buy a 220V treadmill like a Precor. Run it off a dedicated circuit. It should cost 3-5 grand.

2. For high end treadmills like a Precor, the store you bought it from should have trained service techs and spare parts.

A good treadmill should last years...duty cycles are spec'd for gym use, constant usage 18 hours a day..

15 years ago in the SF Bay Area I worked at a higher end fitness equipment store. We were trained by the Precor factory on service and had access to tech support if needed. Most of the parts are replaced at the assembly level- main board, motor, etc.

Good luck.

3. Cards81fan

Cards81fan

Depending on the brand, sears can do it.

Of course... if your 'mill wasn't expensive then chunk it and get a new one.

4. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

We have one of the middle of their line Schwinn models. It's pretty good. The only problem we've had in the 3 years that we've owned it was a burned out fuse due to a power surge. Who would've thought that a treadmill would need a surge suppressor???

Yes, there are treadmill repair services. Check your yellow pages -- you should be able to find them -- I was able to find a few. In the end, the place where we bought the treadmill from sent a guy out to replace the fuse.

As sactocruiser said, get a good, higher end treadmill and it should last for many years. One way or another you'll pay -- buy six or seven $800 treadmills and have to haul each one home or spend $4k to $5k on a really good one and be done for 10 or more years.

What is she wearing out? The motor? The tread? ???

5. mj1015

mj1015

I at one time went and looked at some used machines from out of buisness health clubs. That may be an option. Lots of peaple buy these things and never really use them so you may be able to find a little used high end one.

But I agree, get a good one if your going to use it and it sounds like you do.

6. VTFJ40

VTFJ40

She's got a good on in VT, but we work 2 weeks a month in Northern VA, so we got her a $900 one(which I didn't think was that cheap) for our place here. She burned up the motor and motor control board in less than a year.

We got it at Costco, so I could probably return it, but I don't like doin that. It's also on the 3rd floor and weighs 300lbs, so I was hoping I could get someone in to fix it.

Thanks for the replies.

7. stayalert

stayalert SILVER Star

Go to your nearest electricia, engineering dept. or science museum and get help designing and building a treadmill that produces electricty. Recoup some of that effort...criminy sounds like your wife could run a freaking welder....

I never had any interest in running and know nothing of treadmills....The last patriots day parade I saw there was a kid who turned a broken treadmill into a star wars looking vehicle by putting the thing on a skateboard....mildly amusing.

8. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

It'll be a pain to haul it over there, but Costco will take it back, no questions asked.

One thing that I learned while shopping for treadmills is that the duty rating for the motors is important. The lower the duty rating, the earlier it'll burn out.