Tread Lightly impressions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
web.mac.com
The Tread Lightly Trainer course was today. Steve, Ash, Rudy and myself represented the HDC. Lots of information and too many sugar goodies.

I wanted to start a thread about our current impressions of the Tread Lightly mantra. I would like to hear responses to questions like:

1. What are your impressions of the organization?
2. Do you think we as a club adhere to the ethic of minimal impact?
3. Is Tread Lightly an organization that HDC could benefit from?
4. Do we have good trail practices?
5. et cetera....
I just wanted to open a discussion on the topic. And maybe evaluate HDC's role in the OHV community.

Last edited:
Rory, I don't know a lot about the TL organization, but I think that the overall impression of having minimal impact on the environment is a good thing. Especially when we are talking about such delicate flora in the high-desert. I haven't been on enough HDC trail runs to say whether we stick to the minimal impact standards (my hopes is that we do). I would certainly be interested in taking the class and see what we can do to improve our trail etiquette. Just my $0.02.

Paul

I think we'll do the short version next Saturday at the meeting...

Tread Lightly

The Tread Lightly Trainer course was today. Steve, Ash, Rudy and myself represented the HDC. Lots of information and too many sugar goodies.

I wanted to start a thread about our current impressions of the Tread Lightly mantra. I would like to hear responses to questions like:

1. What are your impressions of the organization?
2. Do you think we as a club adhere to the ethic of minimal impact?
3. Is Tread Lightly an organization that HDC could benefit from?
4. Do we have good trail practices?
5. et cetera....
I just wanted to open a discussion on the topic. And maybe evaluate HDC's role in the OHV community.

Tread Lightly does have a good agenda. I have seen a lot of our members practice the ethics discussed. But on the other hand I have been on some runs ( or bike rides in the past where they didn't care). I don't think it would hurt to at least spend the half hour to run through the Awareness cousre.

I think we'll do the short version next Saturday at the meeting...

Not a bad idea. Did anyone else's kit come with the other CD? Mary mention she was going to send it out.

Rory, I don't know a lot about the TL organization, but I think that the overall impression of having minimal impact on the environment is a good thing. Especially when we are talking about such delicate flora in the high-desert. I haven't been on enough HDC trail runs to say whether we stick to the minimal impact standards (my hopes is that we do). I would certainly be interested in taking the class and see what we can do to improve our trail etiquette. Just my $0.02.

Paul

Thanks Paul. That is what I needed to hear. I think as a club we do have a good outdoor ethic. And we have trail leaders that keep us on the trails. But we really have no presence in the preservation or maintenance of trails. Something I think a responsible OHV club should be involved with.

Do we have any other perspective on this? Maybe from some of the senior club members? (Senior is a reference to members that have a long history with the club, not meant as age discrimination :eek:)

You bring up a good point Rory, I haven't seen any tid bits on trail restoration or cleanup since I've been a member. Maybe in the past the club has worked with gubment agencies? I have seen minimal impact by our members on past trail runs; we stuck to designated trails on the runs I've been a part of.

I heard a rumor about a clean up of some sort in the Puerco area sometime in the next three weeks.

We invariably leave areas at least as good as we find them - usually picking up extra trash.

Last year the NM4wheelers had a work weekend at Gordy's Hill, unfortunately they picked our meeting weekend so I don't think anyone from HDC went. I'm sure they have more than one per year but that was the only one I was aware of. Since we run the trails it would be appropriate for us to help develop them - maybe something to do this summer.

You bring up a good point Rory, I haven't seen any tid bits on trail restoration or cleanup since I've been a member. Maybe in the past the club has worked with gubment agencies? I have seen minimal impact by our members on past trail runs; we stuck to designated trails on the runs I've been a part of.

I heard a rumor about a clean up of some sort in the Puerco area sometime in the next three weeks.

We attempted once or twice several years ago to adopt a trail but got little interest from BLM/FS. I know NM4Wheelers have beeb able to do that, but I think it may have been an informal adoption and not necessarily snactioned by the gubment.

What did you hear about the Puerco? That's all private land so it wouldn't be under the auspices of an agency.

I only got the one CD. But we could definately have a short presentation with the materail we have.

I know, but I think she said there were more educational videos on the other CD.

We invariably leave areas at least as good as we find them - usually picking up extra trash.

When I said I have seen some that didn't care I did not mean anyone in HDC.

Maybe we should get involved with NM4W, maybe have some kind of partnership or cooperation. I know I have a hard time making time for one club, and two certainly wouldn't be any easier but I'd be willing to put aside my brand prejudices (as long as I don't get razzed too much by them) to split my time between the two clubs. I know occasionally we get info passed along to us from Werkmeister. I know he's an officer in the club but I don't know what level of communication we (anyone - just Shawn?) has with them. I certainly think we have some level of responsibility towards maintaning the trails we use. Is anyone here a member of NM4W? They have an interesting membership requirement of earning 5 points before being allowed to join as a member. I guess that keeps out the casual 4-wheeler and lets in only the people who are serious about sticking around. It gives them a chance to screen you before 'voting you in'.

I just checked the NM4W member list and counted 77 members - 3 Toyota Pickups - Ryan Eklund the only name I recognize. 62 Jeeps and 15 non-Jeeps (mostly Ford and Suzuki). I'm scared now.

Marc,

NM4W are a great bunch of folks. I've wheeled with them before and never felt any prejudice. They know who we are and have always been frendly when we have joined them on runs. They have no issues with Toyotas.

Marc,

NM4W are a great bunch of folks. I've wheeled with them before and never felt any prejudice. They know who we are and have always been frendly when we have joined them on runs. They have no issues with Toyotas.

Oh yeah, some of them have issues with Toyotas; I can guarantee it. Also, some of us have issues with Jeeps so it's only fair I guess.

The issues with Toyotas are based in jealousy though...

:cheers:

Seriously though, it's like comparing apples and oranges. Jeeps are great playthings as long as you don't get too far from a dealer for parts. Remember they couldn't even keep their contract going with the US Army, who changed over to Hummers. (That's a sad anecdote)

Toyotas are the worlds preeminent 4 wheel drive vehicle. Jeeps are a big fish in a little pond (the US). Land Rovers are okay if you have helicopter support. I recently heard the Landcruiser described as "the vehicle you want to be in to drive from Los Angeles to New York after WWIII". That pretty much says it all.

Not that Jeeps are bad, they're just ... different. They look like fun.

:)

Last edited:
Remember they couldn't even keep their contract going with the US Army, who changed over to Hummers. (That's a sad anecdote)
Umm, it's the same companies supplying the Hummers as supplied the jeeps. I think late 20th century technology trumping early 20th century technology has more to do with it...

"Can't we all just get along?"

At least it's not illegal to be prejudiced when discussing automobiles.

Sure - now we're quoting great philosophers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom