Tread life. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I still have the OEM Michelin style tires on my 100. They have about 5mm of tread left.

Anybody have any idea of how many miles these have left on them?

The real question in my mind is how old are the tires?

Most tire tread outlives the structural integrity of the bonding agents that hold the tire together.

The PO's service records indicated that the tires were purchased in 3/03 and have about 37K miles on them.

i get about a 1-2 years with my stock michelins and about 15-25k miles....then again i drive my truck too fast.

I got almost 70K miles out of our stock Michilens LTX M/S. I have no complaints about them for street and light off road use. I replaced them with an identical set. When these go, I will probably buy a slightly more agressive tire, as the truck will not longer be used by my wife for mall duty, but will become my DD and weekend hunting and fishing rig.

I've got a set of Telstar Turbostar A/T on my Jeep. They are an inexpensive knock-off, but they are absolutely great tires. Good on street, in snow, mud, rock. If you need a good compromise tire, I'd recommend you check them out.

I still have the OEM Michelin style tires on my 100. They have about 5mm of tread left.

Anybody have any idea of how many miles these have left on them?

Your in about the same shape I'm in :) I have 6mm left. My 18" Michelin M&S tires have around 52K miles on them and based on wear calculations and advise from the local tire store, they should be good until this next winter or about 8K more miles. I will then either buy 3 new Michelins and use the new spare as the 4th new tire, or based on the fact that these tires were made in 8/2003 making the spare around 4 years old I might buy 5 new Brigstone Alenzas in the 285/60/18 size that is within 1.5% of the OEM 275/60/18 size. Age is important and 6 years is about the time that you should be concerned with the reliablity of the tire. So for me it might be smarter to buy 5 new Alenza's for around the same price as 3 new Michelins.

Example $234 per LTX versus $174 per Alenzas

It sounds like 50 to 60K miles is a good working number. So I'm looking at around 15 to 20 K more miles on these tires. Which would translate to next spring/summer before I could justify replacing these tires based on wear. The PO's service records indicate that the spare is OEM, which is kind of scary. But it hasn't been exposed to UV, So even at 9 years old it would probably get me home.

It sounds like 50 to 60K miles is a good working number. So I'm looking at around 15 to 20 K more miles on these tires. Which would translate to next spring/summer before I could justify replacing these tires based on wear. The PO's service records indicate that the spare is OEM, which is kind of scary. But it hasn't been exposed to UV, So even at 9 years old it would probably get me home.

I agree that the old spare would be good for short distance but I read some where that the fact that the spare is unused over 6 years old is a problem. It indicated that you would be better off using a older used tire then the unused spare. Seemed weird to me. Anyone know any thing about this?

I could see why a newer but used tire might be better. Some tires will hold air well when unloaded but collapse when put under the car.

Probably a good idea to lower the spare, inspect it, mount it on the truck and take it for a short drive to see if you feel you can depend on it. It's good to practice getting the spare out, the truck up and the spare mounted in good light and clear weather. You don't want to do it the first time on the trail, in the rain, at night and find the spare winch is frozen with rust or the PO lost the spare "hook" ...

I inherited my Dad's blazer, the tires were pretty old since he didn't drive much the last 15 or so years he was alive. I drove it from Las Vegas to Reno and around town for a couple of months before one tire failed on the freeway. The tread parted ways with the body. The tire was on the side that was exposed to the sun when my Dad had it parked. Other than a few minor surface cracks it looked and drove fine.

I could see why a newer but used tire might be better. Some tires will hold air well when unloaded but collapse when put under the car.

Probably a good idea to lower the spare, inspect it, mount it on the truck and take it for a short drive to see if you feel you can depend on it. It's good to practice getting the spare out, the truck up and the spare mounted in good light and clear weather. You don't want to do it the first time on the trail, in the rain, at night and find the spare winch is frozen with rust or the PO lost the spare "hook" ...
Agreed nothing more fun than changing a tire on the side of the road to start with. Trying to free rusty hardware and located unfamiliar tools could only add to the fun. Plus you can almost bet that a flat will only happen at night on a road with a narrow shoulder in the rain.

Even though not practiced by the Toyota dealers around here, I include the spare in my tire rotation (as per the manual). But, when I did that the first time (truck new to me at ~60K) the spare came down "brand new". Never touched the road before.
So far after a few more rotations, it is still going strong.

I wonder if the dealers are afraid that the tire hoist will fail. It did on a rented Ford van once out in the desert. Had to take the car to a local welder to "weld" the wheel in place.

BTW, my '99 seem to have had Dunlop GrandTrek as OEM tires. How common were they compared to the Michelins?

Please no flame for driving on a "sizzy" tire... :)

i drive my 100 very fast too. and on soft snow tires and i still get over 50k on them. there done as snow tires now but will get me to the winter. i have no idea how loud thinks he goes through tires in 15k . lol.

i drive my 100 very fast too. and on soft snow tires and i still get over 50k on them. there done as snow tires now but will get me to the winter. i have no idea how loud thinks he goes through tires in 15k . lol.

driftin?:lol:

because i went through two sets of LTX's in the first two years of having the truck, which i did about 30k miles. Ive since now started going a little easier so i can stretch them to 20-25k.

Dont laugh at me if you dont know what im talking about.

because i went through two sets of LTX's in the first two years of having the truck, which i did about 30k miles. Ive since now started going a little easier so i can stretch them to 20-25k.

Dont laugh at me if you dont know what im talking about.
That seems like excessive wear at any speed, unless you have an alignment problem or consistently run your tires over/under pressure.
If you are getting that kind of mileage with no other issues than speed I have to ask why you keep buying the same tire?

I don't think there was any malice in bwbski26's comment, I know there wasn't in mine, just good natured ribbing. Lets all just assume the best of each other, things usually work out better that way. Mkay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom