Tread depth variation a problem?

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by WYO2CO_02LC, Aug 11, 2005.

1. WYO2CO_02LC

WYO2CO_02LC

A LC newby (as in 3 days), but very enthused. '02 17K miles (yes!) w/original tires. Spare had previously NOT been rotated in--new with nubs. I decided to rotate the full tread tire in, putting it on left rear. Tread depth difference between 'used' and 'new' tire couldn't be more than a 16th" maybe 32nd? Could a slight tire tread variation cause a problem with the all-wheel drive system? Thanks!

2. trainrech

trainrech

I really doubt if that will significantly affect the vehicle.

Buy a star.

3. 100 TD

100 TD

Not a problem with the "all wheel drive system" but if you have a limited slip diff then it will create constant slippage, and slowly wear out ,and toyota's LSD's only last for about 5000 miles anyway so yours is probably already shot!

4. tabraha

tabraha Hello My Name is: TAD SILVER Star

Like they said about the tire.

and

Welcome to the board!

5. ace10

ace10 Another one bites the dust! SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    inspect that spare VERY carefully... it's been up there for four years and the sidewalls could be in bad shape.

6. WYO2CO_02LC

WYO2CO_02LC

Thanks!

Trying to extend the tire life..but thought about it too much I guess. Thanks for the replies/help.

7. calamaridog

calamaridog

Ace is correct. Sidewalls can be damaged by the pressure placed on them by the cage holding them up or road debris.

Even if the tire looks new, it is still OLD. Tires degrade for many reasons and age affects the bonding agents even if the tire just sits. I would not expect to get additional life out of that tire over what you get for the other tires.

Tires are one of the most important safety features on a vehicle so don't skimp. When it is time to replace them, get a high quality replacement.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.