TRE moving the tire. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I rotate my drag link / tie rod assembly, the tires move in and out a bit. This is when everything is tightened up, so the movement is just what is allowed by the TRE's. Should this happen? Could this be part of a reason for my semi loose steering?

I have replaced the center arm, rebuilt the drag link, and removed every shim out of the steering box.

Thoughts?

I guess I'm not clear on your question...Your drag link goes from the steering box to the pivot...the relay goes from the pivot to the wheel...your tie rod goes from wheel to wheel. Which one are you turning to get movement? How are the wheels moving...in and out on the axles? in and out turning on the hubs? In and out how? :bang:

I've observed this also with older TREs, if you rotate the tie rods the toe in changes.

I believe the answer is... No, you likely need new TREs. And yes, this is contributing to your semi loose steering.

Any gurus with more experience with steering... Please chime in.

Each of the tie rod, relay rod, and drag links have opposite threads on each end to allow you to rotate the link to set steering alignment and toe-in without having to remove the link from the truck.

When you rotate the tie rod, it should be changing the toe-in of the tires. There should be a collar on the links that should be tightened down once the alignemnt is set to prevent them from rotating when you don't want them to...

HTH...

The OP is in reference to the toe in changing when the clamps are tight. Mine did this for many years... But I believe it doesn't now that my TREs are newer.

I believe this is an indication that the TREs are worn out... But would love others to chime in.

Well when I put new tre's on my 69 my relay or tie rod cant remember which would twist when I turned the tire back and forth. I rotated the tre's a fuzz and it seemed to solve the issue...

Sorry for not responding sooner, stuck out of town without internet. :crybaby:

Anyways. The TRE's are tight with the clamps, no movement due to that. Its when I just rotate the tie rod within the movement allowed by the ball joint (TRE) that the toe changes about 1/4" on each tire. I thought that maybe these were new TRE's since they were recently removed from the relay rod and tie rod to sleeve them by the PO but maybe not. A new set from cruiser outfitters will be ordered pronto.

So it seems others have seen this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom