TRE advice needed: Replacement options for 60 series TRE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi,
I did a quick search and got just way too many extraneous responses. I'm in the middle of installing 60 series power steering on my 40. Everything lines up beautifully, just one small problem. The TREs from the 40 are of course too small for the 60 series pitman arm. :doh: I know that you can get 60 series TRE kits from SOR and others but that would mean having the rig laid up for weeks while that ships down here. My question, just in case the dealership tells me that they no longer stock 60 series TREs, what else will fit? If there is a TRE from another Toyota vehicle that fits then I'll go with that. If it is anything else I'll go with it temporarily until I can get some 60 TREs shipped in.
Thanks,
John

4x4 labs has a nice set but they might be a little pricey$$$$$
they are GM 1TON. (BEEF)...
Thanks, that is exactly the kind of information that I'm looking for. Any other options out there?
John

Hi,
I did a quick search and got just way too many extraneous responses. I'm in the middle of installing 60 series power steering on my 40. Everything lines up beautifully, just one small problem. The TREs from the 40 are of course too small for the 60 series pitman arm. :doh: I know that you can get 60 series TRE kits from SOR and others but that would mean having the rig laid up for weeks while that ships down here. My question, just in case the dealership tells me that they no longer stock 60 series TREs, what else will fit? If there is a TRE from another Toyota vehicle that fits then I'll go with that. If it is anything else I'll go with it temporarily until I can get some 60 TREs shipped in.
Thanks,
John

Hi,
actually nothing else fits as a bolt on. you will need a 60 TRE kit. I would talk to SOR or to kurt at cruiseroutfitters.com on the phone, and I am sure that they will be able to ship something express to you. of course it will cost...

they are available from the dealer, but in the US only as assembly with the steering and relay rods, so it is expensive too. maybe that is different where you are.

The information about the GM arms is incorrect as given. 4x4labs has these arms, but they are
1) still in development for the 60 series
2) need a hi-steer setup
so it will not work on the 40 series swap that you have.
cheers,
good luck,
J

Hold on for a minute.

The tie rod end and drag link end tapers are in deed different for an FJ40/55 and 60/62/80. However, you can't get away with just swapping an end as the shank (threaded portion) of the ends are also a different diameter. There are ways around this, a custom drag link, all new tie rod and drag link, a shim/spacer used in the pitman arm to take up the "gap", etc.

Its been sometime since I tried to do this with just an end, but there is a Toyota truck/4Runner tie rod end that has the small shank (17mm) yet the larger taper and will do exactly what you are trying. I know we did it that way a few times years ago, but everything these days just gets a custom drag link.

Hope that helps!

Hold on for a minute.

The tie rod end and drag link end tapers are in deed different for an FJ40/55 and 60/62/80. However, you can't get away with just swapping an end as the shank (threaded portion) of the ends are also a different diameter. There are ways around this, a custom drag link, all new tie rod and drag link, a shim/spacer used in the pitman arm to take up the "gap", etc.

Its been sometime since I tried to do this with just an end, but there is a Toyota truck/4Runner tie rod end that has the small shank (17mm) yet the larger taper and will do exactly what you are trying. I know we did it that way a few times years ago, but everything these days just gets a custom drag link.

Hope that helps!

Curt,
Thanks man. There just is no substitute for someone who has tried what I'm trying to do before. Again, I'm just trying to think ahead. The best option and the one that I hope will work is get the 60 series TRE. We'll see how this all goes tomorrow at the dealership.
John

The threads are different between the 60 Series Tie Rod and Drag Link.

The thread is:

Tie Rod: M23x1.5
Drag Link: M21x1.5

I am trying to line up a tap to attempt to rethread the "standard side" as I cut down a set for my FJ-60 steering install on an FJ-40.

Thanks

ROcky

Last edited:
In the past Travers.com has stocked those taps. I'm not finding a listing now. I'd suggest calling them.

The information about the GM arms is incorrect as given. 4x4labs has these arms, but they are
1) still in development for the 60 series
2) need a hi-steer setup
so it will not work on the 40 series swap that you have.

Kevin has them on his truck (with 80 series ends) https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/206974-fj80-tres-sua60s.html

and from an e-mail exchange with Luke, it sounds like they would have no problem making me a set... not sure what issues might arise from being on a 40...

.....With S/U you are pretty much stuck with forward arms. I have a pretty
sweet six stud setup on my S/U HJ61 with GM TRE's and forward arms. The
arms are tapered from the top so the rods a few inches higher than with
stock arms and the parts are very strong. You don't gain any handling
improvements or geometry correction with forward arms but they are
stronger and higher clearance. Stock backing plates are retained.
We'll make you up a set if you like.....

The threads are different between the 60 Series Tie Rod and Drag Link.

The thread is:

Tie Rod: M23x1.5
Drag Link: M21x1.5

I am trying to line up a tap to attempt to rethread the "standard side" as I cut down a set for my FJ-60 steering install on an FJ-40.

Thanks

ROcky

Can't help you on buying the taps (we special ordered them through a local machine shop) but we can tap your tubes if sent to us. I do know the RH taps of both were easier to source than the LH, I'm pretty sure our 23mm LH tap had to be made for us? Its been 4-5 years so the details are fuzzy.

Totally late but the OP asked at one point. We are now finally getting the individual Tie Rod Ends on our website: Cruiser Outfitters We don't have all of them available, but we do have most outside of the complete kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom