TRD Supercharger Oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have searched this topic and have come up with 3 answers.

Those who have a TRD supercharger on your 80 series, what oil are you using in your supercharger?

A. Toyota oil for the newer superchargers available from the dealer at $70/pint.
B. GM supercharger oil, inexpensive and readily available at every GM dealer.
C. 15W50 Mobil 1 motor oil.
D. Something else.

Have not changed it yet, but I will be using the GM oil when the time comes.

This is interesting. Another option is the AMG recommendation of Mobil jet oil II. I wonder why there are different options?

Pretty sure the 15w50 is a no no. GM oil is very inexpensive and made for an Eaton M90 supercharger which these are. The rotor cores are identical to the GM Eatons. There are some other options from supercharger rebuilders I think (Jon Bond, Steigemeier, PSE) but don't know much about them. GM oil is good.

This is interesting. Another option is the AMG recommendation of Mobil jet oil II. I wonder why there are different options?

These SCs are just two straight cut gears running in a splash type oil bath. NO rocket science involved. Just about any non foaming gear oil should work OK. Works much like the Lucas Oil clear plastic display that was commonly seen on part store counters for years.

I just called Magnusson just now. They said to use specific "supercharger oil" available from any dealer.

Found online for the Eaton M90:

Get two 4 oz (ounce) bottles of GM Vehicle Care Supercharger Oil, which is part# 12345982 at any GM dealership or at online. You'll also need a sprayer top and some sort of bottle to hold the old supercharger oil. The old oil will really stink so be prepared for that.

GM Supercharger Oil

This picture shows you exactly where the supercharger oil change bolt is located. As you can see, I have an allen key sticking out of the bolt head to illustrate it's location. Once you remove the bolt, you can insert your totally clean and dry spray bottle pump head tube. (You don't want to introduce any water or foreign substances into the supercharger oil reservoir chamber.)

Supercharger Oil Tank Bolt

Once you get most of the oil pumped out of the supercharger, try to move the pump's hose around to get any more that is hiding in the crevices of the M90. Then you just have to use a small funnel and carefully fill the supercharger up with oil to just under the bolt threads. Don't Overfill Your Supercharger!
Now go have fun and enjoy the WHINE and power of your supercharger!
dancing-banana.gif

I'm not sure if there's a difference between the Toyota and the TRD supercharger oils or not (doubtful) but there were factory Toyota superchargers available (first gen MR2 and on the Previa.... SC12 and SC14 respectively).

The SC12 called for the Toyota oil and it was very expensive. Tons of debates on what was/wasn't good for them.

I had a JDM SC12 (same internal components but a different pulley) on my swapped MR2 and I ran the GM oil - because of it's appropriate price and availability.

SC12 and SC14 are not Eatons, but they are also a splash oil bath type oiling system. Neato fact about them - the pulleys have an electromagnetic clutch (like an AC compressor) and if you were using an aftermarket ecu, you could control your MPG by simply switching it off.

Not all GM dealers will have them.... We have a GM/Cadillac dealership and they wanted me to order an entire case.... instead I went to the Subaru/Pontiac dealer and they did have it on hand.

Ebay is a great place for GM oil. You will find kits with 2 4oz bottles of oil and a syringe for sucking the old oil out, inexpensive and easy.

FWIW, my friend who owns a salvage operation let me have an m90 off of a pontiac bonneville sc to practice on. Same rotors, same nose gears (different, longer nose housing), same drive coupler, same rear bearings as the early Kazuma supercharger that I have. I cut and hacked on that one first before porting my TRD

While doing a bunch of other maintenance/repairs thought I'd service the sc. Not sure if it made a difference, but I lifted the rear for a while hoping to get as much oil forward near the plug as possible. Used a Mityvac to keep track of what came out, and replaced the 6 3/4 ounces I measured with GM.

65 - 70k miles since sc was installed and this was the first oil change. Old oil looked pretty bad. Makes me wish I would have done it sooner.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I used the synthetic oil that jon bond sells. Its not very expensive, and it made my supercharger run quieter that the oil that was in it before. He sells it on ebay and through his website. Its supposed to reduce operating temps anywhere from 10 to 90 degrees. Im thinking about putting on a considerably smaller pulley and see how the bearings hold up using this oil. I also contacted the company that he gets the oil from and I ordered a couple gallons of their motor oil for my cruiser.

Doesn't the s/c get lubrication from the engine?
I never changed the oil or added any oil to my supercharger in over 140k miles. Different brand, non Toyota related.

I used the synthetic oil that jon bond sells. Its not very expensive, and it made my supercharger run quieter that the oil that was in it before. He sells it on ebay and through his website. Its supposed to reduce operating temps anywhere from 10 to 90 degrees. Im thinking about putting on a considerably smaller pulley and see how the bearings hold up using this oil. I also contacted the company that he gets the oil from and I ordered a couple gallons of their motor oil for my cruiser.

Link?

Thanks to @atomicshawn I now am the owner of a mightyvac and a supercharger running fresh oil. :cheers:

I went with the GM oil from the dealer and it made for interesting conversation pulling into parts department in the 80.

For those not doing the remove and drain for 24 Hr method. How much volume are you able to remove ? I got 145 ml from mine.

Also anyone else get any flakes ? Not metallic and more like a slimy film. Hoping it's not some fancy rotor coatings

I need to check the manual to see total capacity but just curious to the volume able to be exchanged via this method. If anything it may be like the transmission and after 2-3 drain and fills essentially all new oil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom