TRD Supercharged 3URFE 5.7 Tundra powered FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

New to the forum. I have been posting to TundraTalk for some time about my TRD Supercharged Lexus SC430 I have been building. Now that most of the crazy R&D has been completed on that project I have decided to start on what I believe to be the ultimate FJ40 powered by a TRD Supercharged 5.7 3URFE. I think the major hurdles in the past on using this motor is the engine management as well as the lack of a manual transmission being available from Toyota for such a swap. Both of those items I have pretty much overcome. I have several 3URFE's and an extra TRD Supercharged so it seems like the right thing to do. Currently my brother's recently acquired 1980 FJ40 may be the recipient of such a powertrain. However, this may change. We will see! Here are a few pics as we get started!

Thanks
Joe Drifter

Here are a couple pics of the clutch/flywheel and RWD trans for the Lexus. Need to figure out what trans and transfer case we are going to use in the FJ.

You have my attention..

What are you thinking for the trans? Do they offer any manual options overseas?

No manual trans for the 3UR is available from Toyota that I am aware of. I am hoping to track down a 6speed manual and transfer case from an FJCruiser. If you all know of any that are not too expensive let me know.

Thanks
Joe Drifter

I would take out the v12 to put this in.

wow.....I'm impressed, So you have an adapter with a clutch mounted on there, what trans is that made for? I'd like to see more about that lexus 4.3 build if you have a link to another thread somewhere.

Hey White Stripe
The last thing we really want to do is compromise the 80 FJ. Actually with all the aftermarket frame and body manufactures I would really love to build one from the ground up with all aftermarket everything. To build an FJ40 almost completely from scratch/new would be so cool in my book. They are so hard to find these days. Hoping one of these body manufacturers like PACOL might be able to help out. If a frame company wanted to get involved this would be a great SEMA vehicle. We have had several of our builds in SEMA already and this one will be going too.

CWWFJ60
As for the Lexus build there. Here you go. Just to be clear I already have the 5.7 3URFE in it with the TRD Supercharger and Z33 6 speed mated to it. I am just finishing up a little fab work and then off to the DYNO. The tune and motor setup for the FJ will be identical to the Lexus.

Link to the build thread:
TRD Supercharged Tundra 5.7 Lexus SC430 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

WHOA! This is exactly the setup I'd love to put in my FJ40.
I've been looking through the thread on TundraTalk.net and I can't seem to find where you described defeating the CANBUS signals the Tundra ECU is expecting from other parts. Or is the SC430 new enough that the CANBUS works with the Tundra ECU?

You will be the first if you pull it off. The trans/engine and all the sensors need to communicate with each other. How are you going to get around the computer and transmission not talking to each other. Also, did you find a way to crack the code on the PCM. Toyota has all that stuff on lock down.

Hoping for the best, but I know how difficult this is going to be.

whitestripe
I initially got the Tundra motor running in the SC with all the factory electronics including coded key and electronic throttle. It would have been nice if I just kept going that route and I may go back with another project. However, I ultimately went full stand-a-lone ecu as it removes a lot of the the limitations the factory wiring and ecu have.

Fast Eddy
Still looking into trans solutions. I know that my dad used to race fjs with GM V8's and I think he just used the factory FJ trans. Any idea as to how much it will hold? There are a lot of guys out there running factory trans with V8s already. I don't think we are Baja'n the finished product so I don't want to go overboard. However, the Tundra motor should make around 500-550 to the wheels.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Oh, one more thing I wanted to point out. When running on the factory ECU the motor was mated to a factory Tundra 2wd Auto. So there was nothing really to trick. I had the coded key and everything.

I ran a turbocharged 350 in a '74 40 for a while. Don't know the exact hp numbers, but it was up there. Stock drivetrain with 33x12.50 tires. I didn't break anything. Maybe I didn't try hard enough.

Still looking into trans solutions. I know that my dad used to race fjs with GM V8's and I think he just used the factory FJ trans. Any idea as to how much it will hold? There are a lot of guys out there running factory trans with V8s already. I don't think we are Baja'n the finished product so I don't want to go overboard. However, the Tundra motor should make around 500-550 to the wheels.

The factory 4-speed would probably hold up ok. Getting a clutch that matches and hold that much power will be the trick. You'd have to ask @orangefj45 about which t-case to use. Either an Orion or split case. He would know which is technically stronger. With that much power you'll want the rear trans mount off the t-case, but there's a new recent option for that as well.

With that kind of horsepower, you're going to find the limits of lots of parts.

That's an ambitious project for sure .......... big props to you for investing the time and effort. If you can get it all to work it'll be awesome for sure.

The FJC gear train ( same as the taco ?! ) will be waaaaaaaaay too long. It might work in a 45 or 55 but not in a 40. I'd say either an H55F or an R151 with a split case behind it would be your best bet. I have both those units at the shop if you want/need some pics, measurements, .......

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

Go the H55F mate. Nice low ratio 1st and with >33's it won't be a screamer out on the autobahn. Nice n' short too.

If you are able to get this working I would love to know. I have a 72' FJ40 that I would love to put rather a 2UZFE or 3UZFE into and keep it Manual. I currently own a 2003 Tundra with the 2UZFE. I love the power in the I-force V8 and to have it in my FJ40 would be remarkable.
Marcus

Joe Drifter,

I am finishing up my 2UZ build. It was a huge undertaking. The saying 'if it was easy, everyone would do it' came to mind many times throughout. I can't believe how many hurdles there were, from engine placement, transmission BS, and countless wiring issues.

Before I started, I wanted to do the 3UR, as it was the newest Toyota V8 engine, but the physical size of it is pretty large. It is wider than the 2UZ, and longer with the auto I was looking at. The engine bay is small in the FJ40... I didn't realize how small it was until I put the 2UZ in and started mounting a few things it needed, like coolant overflow, power steering reservoir, etc. And my batteries aren't even in the engine bay!

I didn't do much research on the 3UR ECU, but as you probably know, the 2UZ ECU controls the auto transmission. There were no manual 2UZ's in the US, but there were some overseas. I originally thought about going with a 5 speed manual, but ultimately decided I'd rather have an auto. The 5 spd auto is incredibly smooth, and I'm glad I went with it. I am curious how you're going to trick the ECU into thinking it's hooked up to an auto. Does it want wheel speed sensor inputs like the later 2UZs? Will VVTI be functional?

What transmission are you using with your lexus project? Have you ran/driven it yet? It looks like a great project!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom