TRD S/C? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
heard from somebody having an 80 with a TRD S/C for sale. Don't know yet what records are available.

Waddayall think about the concept of the S/C? OK? Useful for normal use or only hardcore self-satisfaction? The TRD one OK? Things to watch out for? Stay away?

Any input appreciated

Eric

A handful of the members here have the S/C installed including CDan, Junk, Photoman, and others. I haven't heard anything bad about the TRD S/C ever. I think the only real thing to be aware of is the mileage of the vehicle set to recieve the new addition. It way not like the added stress if it has relatively high mileage.

I almost bought one a year ago. It came down to either having a street queen with a S/C, or a very capable truck with enough stuff to get me through almost anything. I only had the green for one or the other. I chose the latter and haven't regretted it since.

300+ horsies, and 400+ torquies are quite inviting though. :D

thanks
this is a truck that already has the s/c installed, actually...
something like 90K I think, 96 or 97 I was told
Eric

Eric:

Others will likely post on this as well, but before I bought you want to make sure that the truck was very well maintained, understand who did the install (the PO, known indi shop, dealer,etc). Some other things I think I've seen others mention (do a search) - make sure the cooling system is up to snuff and well maintained - you may have overheating issues.

Cheers, Hugh (who continues to dream of a SC)

I love mine. Next to a full blown Slee 6 inch lift, it is the most expensive mod. The down sides are:

You MUST run premium fuel.
You still may need an octane booster.
Your cooling system MUST be functioning at 100%
You need to pay attention to the engine and listen to what it's telling you. EG, if you hear it pinging back out of the throttle.
You should be selective about who you let drive it because if they do not know the rules engine damage is a real possibility. My wife is the only other person who operates mine if I am not in the vehicle.
I have had mine for over 3 years and would do another one in the drop of a hat. If you are not mechanicaly inclined, I would maybe shy away from one. Also if 11 MPG on Premium gas bugs you, you better pass.

D-

what would be the added value of an installed TRD S/C over a bare (?) one?
E

That is hard to say, a new one in the box lists for around $3,800.00

I would think that it would be worth at least a grand and easily more.

The supercharger is an ok second option I guess, but I would go for a

[glow=red,4,300]TURBO INTERCOOLED 4.5[/glow]

again if I wanted to make more grunt. :D

I've spent a lot of money on my truck and made a lot of mistakes.

Hands down, the biggest waste of money and the biggest mistake was sticking on the blower.

When they dropped in the new block last fall, the only reason I had them put it back in was because I had tossed all teh bits like the MAF and didn't want to spend money eliminating the blower.

Do yourself a favor and stick with stock. If you go s/c, you will regret it!

now theres a huge endorsement, if junk has had trouble with it, it must be ok for general public. :D

OK, Junk--care to elaborate? Why was it a waste IYO? What are the downsides?

CDan--why would one have predetonation issues with a TRD kit? Something with the design of the kit or just carbon build up on a 6+ year old vehicle? Doesn't the kit come with a DME upgrade?

detonation issues are because the fuel octane [RON] is to low for the timing and boost pressure levels, probably more so than becausethere is an issue with the vehicle or kit.

Remapping of the ECU would be a fix for alot of it, though compressed air temps without an intercooler would be the only area then to consider, as the hotter intake charge is more prone to help introduce "pinging".

Thanks ShedGuy, but doesn't that indicate poor design on the part of TRD? Shouldn't the forced induction kit be designed to work within the capabilities of the fuel and timing management of the DME, with an extra margin of safety even? If not, one would think the kit would require an intercooler. Hmmm.

Seems like this overrides the notion that "it's a Toyota part so it must be designed to work with the LC. " Maybe other "aftermarket" kits are better designed?

I have to agree with Dan. I've had mine on for about a year now, and have nothing but good stuff to say about it. I will disagree with Dan on the milage issue--I didn't see much/any change in milage after putting the blower on, except when I'm towing (which is pretty much why I bought it in the first place). When towing, the milage does drop to about 12-14mpg for me, but I have no troubles going up hills, so it's well worth it to me :D

I bought mine for $2200 new and installed it myself (had the dealer put the crank pully on though since I don't have the grunt for that).

To my knowledge, I've not had any pinging/detonation problems (like I said...to my knowledge...). But I suspect it falls prey more easily to any flaws in your system, especially fuel system. I'm currently in the process of doing a 3M injection cleaner since I suspect some sticky injectors. The stock kit was meant to be street legal in all 50 states, so it's not designed to generate max hp or torque. An end user can of course put on a smaller pully and have at it, but will likely run into other problems (fuel management/ecu, etc) if this is done.

Junk: maybe the reason you've not been happy is that you threw away the MAF ::). The TRD/Kazuma kit I got made use of the MAF to control fuel ratios... :D

Tom

Well,

It is not a "Toyota" part. It is an after market bolt-on intended to make a bunch of power just like a Safari turbo. TRD is an independent body. I'm sure that some of the issues arise when the blower is fitted to a 93-94. the 95 + fuel management seems to be better suited to the challenge. TRD chose not to supply any sort of an overlay ECU, probably because of monetary restraints. The kit is a pile of cash as-is and another ECU adds money fast. An intercooler would do the same thing to the price. Another limiting factor is the potential customer base. It is not big enough to spread the costs. So, we take what we can get and tweak it on a case-by-case basis. I have water/methanol injection on mine and I often run an undersize pulley on the blower. It makes a bunch more power but it is running on a knife edge and must be constantly mointored. When I have the undersize pulley installed nobody but me sits in the driver's seat, period.

One other consideration is a lean mixture. There was a thread a while back taliking about the new SCs from TRD that had a 7th injector. The one for the V8 has a 9th injector. This extra injector on the V8 is a mechanical type that is controlled through a duel vacuum diaphram, one line on each side of the pump I beleive. This precharges the air.

A foot note on costs:

Tom got his during a once-in-a-lifetime sale window. He paid a lot less than I did for mine :mad: . The current dealer cost is WELL above what he paid. A "good deal" currently would be around 3 grand.

I threw the 11 mpg number out there because that is what I average around town (6200 lbs, 33 inch tires, 4.10 gears, heavy foot ;) ). My towing mpg with a 3700 lb boat and a full load in the truck is about 10.5 mpg.

[quote author=Chris C Atlanta link=board=2;threadid=7393;start=msg61874#msg61874 date=1068596961]
Thanks ShedGuy, but doesn't that indicate poor design on the part of TRD? Shouldn't the forced induction kit be designed to work within the capabilities of the fuel and timing management of the DME, with an extra margin of safety even? If not, one would think the kit would require an intercooler. Hmmm.

Seems like this overrides the notion that "it's a Toyota part so it must be designed to work with the LC. " Maybe other "aftermarket" kits are better designed?
[/quote]

Its performance part, you dont buy it, then run low RON fuel, and you make other adjustments to suit as well, though ECU adjustments is the best fix, meth/water injection, timing, exhaust all play a part.

To expect a kit to be all conquering at Christo's altitude, or death valley in summer, or landpimps winter is not only almost impossible, but a compromise.

The set up is really the responsibility of the fitter.

[quote author=Chris C Atlanta link=board=2;threadid=7393;start=msg61874#msg61874 date=1068596961]

[/quote]

Click the Search button dude. I've typed that stuff up too many times in this forum.

Stick with stock.

I paid a lot less that the figure Dan states above and it's still all a waste. :whoops: :flipoff2:

Ok. i will weigh in with my 2cents. I have put 20,000 miles on my s/c. It has worked well so far, and has done some pretty heavy duty towing use. It is a must to have a perfectly functioning cooling system. I had some heat issues that were totally cleared up with a new 3core rad, new fan fluid coupling, and new thermostat. I don't know if one part or a combo of all three was the problem, I just wanted peace of mind and put in all new.
My next mod to the system will be an intercooler as I want to intrduce cooler air into the equation. I hear rumours of someone who may be working on an intercooler system for our TRD s/c 80s. However nothing definitive yet. If one gets made, I will be the first in line. If it doesn't happen soon, I may get my own made.
Sean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom