TRD 17" RW Wheels on a 2018 200 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I see that these wheels are quite popular since they are forged and hub centric.

Can someone confirm that PTR45-34120 will indeed fit on a 2018 US based 200 series. It sounds like brake rotors on the recent models may be a bit larger and wanted to ensure that is not a problem as all of the posts I see are for earlier models.

Can I also get confirmation the I can simply swap in the pressure sensors from my stock 18" wheels? Thx!

Rock warriors originally came on Tundras that have the same diameter brakes and nearly identical calipers as the 16+ cruisers, so they were in-effect designed to fit your brakes.

TPMS transferred directly over from my OE 13 wheels to my rock warriors, I doubt the mounting angle/flange changed from 13-18 but I guess it’s possible. My understanding was toyota used one angle for all aluminum wheels and a different one for all steel.

IF you do elect to get new TPMS make sure you get the model with the correct firmware. They might physically bolt in but not be compatible with the RF part of the system.

Now the hard part will be finding some RW..

Yeah I believe they used 40 degree angled sensors for steel wheels and 20 degree for alloy...or something to that nature.

Even so, the alloy ones will fit steel wheels just fine, and the steel-version do fit alloys (some people invert them 180 if it looks too close)

I ran RWs on a 2017 with no problem. 2018-2020 have same brakes. I think you may find that you will need to move your TPMS over or purchase new. Sometime (maybe 17 on, not really sure when) the sensors changed. Resetting the TPMS not only fixes/adjusts the desired pressure, but it also automatically rediscovers the sensors so your dash display correctly IDs the pressure in each tire at each position. That is you can rotate tires without a reset or reprogramming of position.

RW were a dealer-provided option before they were discontinued. Plenty of threads here in 200 section on all of the items you asked... including the dealer install sheet for the RW on the 200 series.

I just got done putting a full set acquired through Craigslist on my 2015 with KO2 285/70/17 with new TPMS purchased from the tire dealer. I used Carista to swap the TPMS IDs over into the system, as I am keeping my OEM rims setup for now.

Thanks for the confirmation. I've located set of 4 and they are on their way!

Side q. Any recommendations on a less expensive alternative 17" tire to use for the spare that can run an identical size tire?

Side q. Any recommendations on a less expensive alternative 17" tire to use for the spare that can run an identical size tire?

You'd need to do some homework and make sure it will clear the brakes.. I think 17s that will are quite rare.

For a while I kept my stock 18 and 285/65R18 as a spare.. it was pretty close to my 285/70r17 on the rock warriors.

My eventual choice was to find a damaged rock warrior somewhat cheap and put a cheaper tire on that and leave it in the spare position instead of doing 5-tire rotations. Plus if I really damage one of my primary wheels this one can buy me some time to find a good replacement.

Also as a PSA: It’s rare but these things have been known to crack on the inner lip, so give yours a good inspection before you get the tires mounted.

I got ICON 17 x 8.5 wheels with 25 mm offset that clear the calipers fine on my 2008. I put 34 x 10.50 BFG all terrains and it only rubs the mud flap slightly. Have a 2” Ironman lift going on soon that should fix that. Biggest issue with aftermarket wheels is getting the offset. Factory is 50 mm and it’s a 5 on 150 lug pattern.

Last edited:
Icon builds their wheels specifically for toyota applications and their brakes. Outside of icon and toyota rock warrior many 17s won’t clear.

Icon builds their wheels specifically for toyota applications and their brakes. Outside of icon and toyota rock warrior many 17s won’t clear.
Sounds about right. I did a bunch of research before I bought them. Especially on this site. I was going to do the Rock Warriors but the guy on eBay wanted too much money and wouldn’t budge. Ended up getting these.

EA22DA5D-6653-4156-BA4A-C303C1C2DC77.jpeg
0B8595E7-F59D-46B5-B432-68E85992F4B4.jpeg

Last edited:

Here is a link to the Rock Warrior "bible" - everything you ever wanted to know about the care and feeding of these great wheels, published by Toyota: Rock Warrior Poop Sheet

One note: The Tire pressure listed on page 5 of the poop sheet for the BFG LT285/70R17 tires should be 40psi, NOT 46psi.

HTH

Here is a link to the Rock Warrior "bible" - everything you ever wanted to know about the care and feeding of these great wheels, published by Toyota: Rock Warrior Poop Sheet

One note: The Tire pressure listed on page 5 of the poop sheet for the BFG LT285/70R17 tires should be 40psi, NOT 46psi.

HTH

And, because gaijin is better at attention to detail than most of us (that's how he caught the incorrect pressure in the sheet).. that's only for LT285/70R17. He assumes we will pay attention to the LT part of that.

If you run a P285/70R17 or anything other than the LT tire you'll need different pressures. In my case it was only 27psi. See the thread elsewhere in this forum for just about any tire load/size.

And, because gaijin is better at attention to detail than most of us (that's how he caught the incorrect pressure in the sheet).. that's only for LT285/70R17. He assumes we will pay attention to the LT part of that.

If you run a P285/70R17 or anything other than the LT tire you'll need different pressures. In my case it was only 27psi. See the thread elsewhere in this forum for just about any tire load/size.

Excellent point! Also, pressures for LX570 models are different than LC200 models ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom