Traverse City MI to Ouray CO - Engineer, Cinnamon, Hurricane, Ophir and others... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I didn't care for fish too much until I had some of those native trout from those high glacial melt mountain lakes. A little butter, garlic salt, pepper and cooked until it isn't translucent.. OMG!! It's always better cooked on a campfire next to the lake. Just to let you all in, Orvis Hot springs in Ridgeway has reasonable rates for overnight camping and is clothing optional. Much more laid-back then the east side of the passes.

I was going to run Imogene. Keep in mind, I have no clue what I’m doing, never done it before, and just drove out there thinking I’d camp/fish/4-wheel.

At the end of day one after Corkscrew/Hurricane/Engineer etc, I realized I had totally underestimated the difficulty of these roads and thought it unwise for a rookie to be out wandering around Imogene and Black Bear..... so, I decided to wait till my next trip out - maybe SAS #5? - and run those more difficult passes with some solid axle friends who could help make sure I get through.

Man dude, awesome trip!! Good on you for taking off solo and exploring Colorado all the way from Michigan! I fall asleep at night thinking about rolling west solo like that, living out of the rig. No actually I do.
I've got to make an SAS trip...don't think I would've done Imogene/Black Bear as a solo newb either.

Last edited:
Just did Imogene and Cinnamon a couple of weeks ago. Weather was beautiful, so it wasn’t too tough. My daughter did OK in her stock Gen III 4-runner, just needed some help in finding a line here and there. Awesome trip!

EC9CE622-1A42-40BF-8E04-CD6CEDE7971A.jpeg

They are the prettiest fish out there.
I personally don’t fish and so I can’t get pixs but they are quite flashy from what I see. Those red fins are beautiful.

ElviMcCoy

You might consider signing up with TrailsOffroad before your next trip. It contains good route descriptions, degree of difficulty....etc. Often has current trail info posted by members. If you go with the paid premium membership you can download electronic files.

There are other trail sites including Bushducks and TrailDamage that I've used. TrailsOffroad is a newer site and I've found that it tends to be more likely to have current info. 4WD trail conditions can change drastically. Not just year to year but after one cloudburst, windstorm or snowslide.

I personally don’t fish and so I can’t get pixs but they are quite flashy from what I see. Those red fins are beautiful.
For some finned eye candy look the Rio Grande cutthroat trout.

this is an exciting one to go on:

1602812408368.png

as the time stamp says...2005...KTM 950 loaded with gear.

1602812450199.png

bit of a challenge for two 4 wheeled vehicles to pass up here. I was also caught in a thunderstorm which made things a little more intense.

this is an exciting one to go on:

View attachment 2466525

as the time stamp says...2005...KTM 950 loaded with gear.

View attachment 2466527

bit of a challenge for two 4 wheeled vehicles to pass up here. I was also caught in a thunderstorm which made things a little more intense.
And if you choose to continue the journey west to Moab, turn off at Old LaSal and take LaSal Pass. It's beautiful and a short section of slide rock that moves the mountain when you drive on it. There are a couple nice camps that may be available. It's a rough, slow road, but not abusive if you drop your tire pressure .

Oops, my mistake, I think it was Silverthorne. I stayed there back in ‘05 for about 6 days. Gorgeous. Hiked Buffalo Mtn a 12,777 but I stopped at prob 10 or 11. I just read it starts at 9k plus. I thought my lungs were going to explode and have a photo of myself looking pretty whipped. I really dug the area tho.
Dillon was a neat place, cool little bar overlooking the lake where the town used to be. I had my first Fat Tire there.
my living room starts at 9700'...i get whipped walking to the bedroom!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom