Travel opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm planning a trip from Eastern Washington to Seattle on the west side of the mountains, roughly 240 +/- miles in the next couple of weeks.
What I'm wondering, from other's experience, is it worth it to put my top and doors on for the trip (PITA), or is it easier just to sport the ski goggles and earplugs for 4+ hours?
Stock F, 3 speed, 33x9.5 tires, probably going state roads rather than Interstate, so around 45-60 mph most of the way.
I'm not asking from an efficiency standpoint unless there is a severe difference, just relative ease of travel.
If it adds to the equation, there will be lots of beer and chainsaws at the end of the drive. Not together of course.:rolleyes:

I'm planning a trip from Eastern Washington to Seattle on the west side of the mountains, roughly 240 +/- miles in the next couple of weeks.
What I'm wondering, from other's experience, is it worth it to put my top and doors on for the trip (PITA), or is it easier just to sport the ski goggles and earplugs for 4+ hours?
Stock F, 3 speed, 33x9.5 tires, probably going state roads rather than Interstate, so around 45-60 mph most of the way.
I'm not asking from an efficiency standpoint unless there is a severe difference, just relative ease of travel.
If it adds to the equation, there will be lots of beer and chainsaws at the end of the drive. Not together of course.:rolleyes:

Sounds like a fun trip in the summer, would suck out loud in the winter though. Assuming that you are running a windshield still, I'd scrap the goggles and ear plugs and sub in an MP3 player with ear buds so you have tunes going as you roll along for 4+ hours.:grinpimp::beer:

Yeah, windsheild is up.
Not sure I could use earbuds loud enough to overcome the noise with out permanently damaging my hearing.
Which makes me think, would the vibration and stress from the speed damage the windsheild frame without the top supporting it?

I used to make that trip all the time in my first FJ40 with 38.5 swampers no top or doors... but the sounds a Cruiser makes are music to my ears. Don't try to be in a rush and enjoy the ride and thumbs up's :cheers:

My brackets for my windshield to my dash have cracked and broken due to stress of driving with an unupported windshield. Due to rain, I would at least put the hard doors on, if not the whole hardtop. If it rains the whole time you're driving it could be no fun.

take a down jacket ;p

seriously, it gets cold real fast at speed, and you want to protect your kidneys

also, others on the road do not take kindly to a kitchen paper roll unfurling itself into traffic from behind the passenger seat :hillbilly: BTDT :doh:

My brackets for my windshield to my dash have cracked and broken due to stress of driving with an unupported windshield. Due to rain, I would at least put the hard doors on, if not the whole hardtop. If it rains the whole time you're driving it could be no fun.

Fortunately I've got the flexibility to travel when the weather is nice. I know from experience the wipers don't work so well when the water is on the inside of the windsheild.
Are cracked windsheild brackets common?

Are cracked windsheild brackets common?[/QUOTE]

I never use hardtops and I have never had them crack, but the weather is awesome this week in the Pacific Northwest, just roll without the top!:beer::cheers:

I know it's great here in the tri-cities, but I'm sure Seattle is hiding under the "marine layer". That's code for clouds.

I guess I won't worry about the windshield. Keep an eye out for this rolling through White pass.
IMG_9964.jpg

Hi All:

I've driven the opposite direction (east-bound from Seattle over I-90, Hwy. 410, & Hwy. 12) during the summer in my '40 with no top or doors. Piece of cake! :D But a warm jacket is recommended for the pass! ;)

I have heard of busted windshield hinges, but believe it is a long-term, metal fatigue issue.

Regards,

Alan

I've driven mine with no top and no doors from Vancouver to Wenatchee and back a couple of times. No goggles or ear buds for me. The main thing is to take your time and enjoy the scenery! Nothing like rolling down the highway without the doors and hardtop! Enjoy!

:cheers:

One of the most fun trips my wife and I had was in the 40 with the top off and it started raining so hard we could barely see and then we ran out of gas. People looked at us like we were crazy because we were laughing and yelling. Lol, Thanks for the memory :) But for me I would a least run with the doors on. Just for windshield support and a little added protection. I have seen deer do stupid things on state roads in a skinny second. Have Fun what ever you decide!

If you have the bikini top, that keeps the stress off the brackets, so no problem there. One of the most fun drives I've ever done was from Denver to Moab with no doors and no top - had to layer up going through the mountains but as night fell the view of the sky was awesome as I came into Utah...

...I had my bikini top and soft half doors with me though, just in case ;) When it rains my tires throw water up into the cab, not sure if that's because my front fenders are cut up a tad and I'm missing my running boards, but probably so. Oh, and a squeegee works pretty well to get water off the inside of the windshield ;)

Oh, and a squeegee works pretty well to get water off the inside of the windshield ;)

That sure brought back some memories. Years ago I had a 1967 Datsun Roadster which happened to be a beater. I had both a hardtop and soft top, neither of which kept all the Pacific Northwet rain out. The heater and defroster were kind of weak. A good squeegee was mandatory equipment. But it sure was fun to drive in dry, warm weather.

I'd say have a warm coat that will also keep you dry just in case and have fun.

Don

With a bikini top you won't get wet when it rains unless you stop. Carry a cheap poncho in the glove box just in case you get caught in construction or whatever.
I'd skip the goggles but wrap around sunglasses are nice.

/this\ - make sure the poncho is big enough to divert the water BEHIND your seat not onto it :doh:

and: there is nothing about the doors that would support the windshield

Yeah, windsheild is up.
Not sure I could use earbuds loud enough to overcome the noise with out permanently damaging my hearing.
Which makes me think, would the vibration and stress from the speed damage the windsheild frame without the top supporting it?

I used to get ear defenders and just leave the earbuds loose inside them... can hear the music without cranking it too loud!

F
Are cracked windsheild brackets common?

Cracking is more common with the '75 and newer rigs. On them, the windshield frame itself fatigues over time in the area right next to the hinges.

I have not had a hardtop on my '68 in decades, and have no cracking issues...there. I do wheel hard enough that I cracked the dashboard at the A pillar, but that's another story.:censor:

If you're concerned, just run with the windshield down!:idea:

Best

Mark A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom