Trany swap time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I will be doing a few more diagnostics but it is safe to say that my transmission (at 289,000 mi) is finally ready to kick the bucket. I think the torque converter is not locking up. Since I got my SOA back on the road the oversized tires have been giving the A440F a tough time, even with the 4.88 ring and pinion. I believe that this was happening before I went SOA as I saw my AT Oil Temp Light come on once when taking a trip up the 395 two years prior when heading to Bishop. I would like to take the spare trany out of the parts truck as soon as possible and then setup my truck in the garage for the swap.

It's happening this weekend, Sat Dec 11th at 10am in SUN VALLEY.

I have access to the forklift so pulling the body off the frame and accessing the trany shouldn’t be too difficult.

Last edited:
Once you pull that body off of the frame.... you'll be opening a full can of worms.... and the "well since Im doing this, I might as well do this too" mentality will take over......

I would go but dont have a cruiser..... ;)

I'm hoping he means getting the tranny off the donor rig....wait, even then, it'd be easier with a tranny jack. haha

Maybe this thread should be retitled "Doing a trany swap over Christmas break". HAHAHA

I'm hoping he means getting the tranny off the donor rig....wait, even then, it'd be easier with a tranny jack. haha

Jose is correct. I'm looking to take the spare trany out of the parts rig. It's sitting on spring packs so getting under it would difficult.

I could always use laquer cans as jack stands.

What about fabbing a post and beam to support the parts truck at approximately ride height, or slightly higher? It would be quick and easy with steel, and cheap if you find scrap. I'll even help you weld it up.

Alternatively, have you considered pulling the whole drive train out in one piece?

What about fabbing a post and beam to support the parts truck at approximately ride height, or slightly higher? It would be quick and easy with steel, and cheap if you find scrap. I'll even help you weld it up.

Alternatively, have you considered pulling the whole drive train out in one piece?

I would like to pull the whol drivetrain and put the engine in a crate. I also need to tear down part of the tcase to get to some gears to make a DIY McNamara gear so i don't have future issues with a clunky output shaft...

Who's coming so I can plan food and drink?

Anyone have an engine stand I can borrow? I'd like to rebuild the trany when it's out and not have to work off a crate on the ground if possible.

Last edited:
I'll be there...I might be a tad late if I have to go to Valencia.

btw, I like Powerade and Canada Dry Ginger ale. :)

Do you need any tools you might not have? I have a Dewalt cordless impact wrench. I'll take it just in case.

I'll be there...I might be a tad late if I have to go to Valencia.

btw, I like Powerade and Canada Dry Ginger ale. :)

Do you need any tools you might not have? I have a Dewalt cordless impact wrench. I'll take it just in case.

Yes, bring the impact. This is happening in SUN VALLEY at my Dad's shop (NOT in Valencia.)

Yes, bring the impact. This is happening in SUN VALLEY at my Dad's shop (NOT in Valencia.)

I meant I might have to go to Valencia first BEFORE going to your dad's shop.

See you tomorrow

Thank you everyone for your help. It was a very successful day and the drivetrain got pulled in less than three hours.

Had fun....especially finding the solution to Andy's "no start" problem! That was classic.

Let us know when the next phase starts, Randy.

Oh, and thanks for lunch and thank to Samuel for the coffee...good stuff.

Randy, thanks for the invite, will let you know when I get the AAL's swapped out. Was nice hanging out with you guys, Hope to make it to the Jan. meeting.

Opened up the tcase for a visual inspection via the pto inspection cover and confirmed I have a pto gear in there. DIY McNamara here I come. :D

Cool deal Randy. It looked like you had all the proper documentation to get it done right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom