Transmission word for 100 series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello --l am new to this forum, so, please bear with me. I own a 2000 Land Cruiser. The transmission shot craps a few months ago, but, l don't know exactly what happened to it. It has 162,xxx miles on it with no prior problems. I had it towed to the local Toyota dealership where it has been sitting for about 5 months now. There is NOT a single re-manufactured transmission (343F) in the entire country available for sale. l also called several transmission shops in my area, and none will rebuild it. That leaves me with no other choice than to buy a "take-off" transmission with unknown history and mileage. Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Tom Lovinggood

good used ones are out there
try the classifieds here on mud:

I know of a good one in Montana

here's a link to another thread:

Is there no remanufactured A343F transmissions in the Toyota/Lexus supply chain, or no remanufactured A343F transmissions anywhere?

A simple google search makes it look like there are multiple places that have a remanufactured A343F, but I have no idea on the quality of their work, and doubt that you’d get a dealership to order from a third party.

When my 2000 trans went out, I was in a big city (San Antonio) and there were few shops ready to rebuild it, but could not find a single shop in my home town. So check with a major city to get it rebuild. Do NOT buy another 2000 model trans as this is a defect in most (or all) 2000 transmissions. A 98 and 2001 have no trans failure issues. The 99 has a different wire connector at PN safety switch.

Do NOT buy another 2000 model trans as this is a defect in most (or all) 2000 transmissions. A 98 and 2001 have no trans failure issues.

I don't think it is all the 2000's have a weak link, some do and others go for over 300,000 miles without issue

I don't think it is all the 2000's have a weak link, some do and others go for over 300,000 miles without issue
It's a needle roller bearing in the O/D planetary gear. I was at 248K miles when it went out. There are cases where trans failed at 50K miles. If it lasts 300+ miles that's good, but I would not drive a 2000 with the factory trans on a solo trip!

It's a needle roller bearing in the O/D planetary gear. I was at 248K miles when it went out. There are cases where trans failed at 50K miles. If it lasts 300+ miles that's good, but I would not drive a 2000 with the factory trans on a solo trip!
295k and I go solo regularly. (Of course now I’ve cursed myself 🤦‍♂️

I think I’ve read on the forum transmissions go out on every model year, as well as motors, even though we have the million mile motor. Of course, conventional wisdom says all our brake masters, steering racks, etc are going to fail after 200k…

I saw a thread with posts from 2011 saying AHC wouldn’t last past 150k miles.

Is it more likely in a 2000? I’m not sure there is hard data to prove it out, but I think they sold 15k or so US spec 100s. A 1% failure rate would be 1500, and we would hear about half of them on this forum 😉.

Put a call into these shops (its a drive to Colorado I know, but if you find one at these shops there's a good chance you can find someone to mud-ship it east for gas money).

Slee Offroad: Golden Colorado: 303 278 8287

Proffit's Land Cruisers: Orchard City Colorado: 970-596-7363

Classic Cruisers: Colorado Springs: 719-638-2003

You can also come drop a line on the regional club here in Colorado: www.risingsun4x4.com

The reason I recommend pinging some shops (despite Proffits and CC being into the older models), and hitting a regional forum out here is the density of cruisers is pretty high and it seems like everyone knows everyone. I have seen several early 100 transmissions get stripped from rigs and then sit for a long time trying to be sold; because despite what you'll hear here on Mud, it is very uncommon to have to replace one of these.

More leads for you; again, Colorado based. The transmission might be gone as he posted this in 2020 but give Oleg a call, he might know a guy who knows a guy.

720-276-6697

1680575535862.png

Lastly, a number of people in the local club sound to be happy with these guys rebuilding Toyota truck and land cruiser transmissions. If not them, maybe they have a satellite location or know a shop closer to you that can take it on.

Is it more likely in a 2000? I’m not sure there is hard data to prove it out, but I think they sold 15k or so US spec 100s. A 1% failure rate would be 1500, and we would hear about half of them on this forum 😉.

Not to be a math weenie, but 1500 failures out of 15K would be a 10% failure rate. For the record, I have a 2000 4Runner whose transmission vaporized (OD failure - tons of metal shavings) at 246K miles.

Not to be a math weenie, but 1500 failures out of 15K would be a 10% failure rate. For the record, I have a 2000 4Runner whose transmission vaporized (OD failure - tons of metal shavings) at 246K miles.
It was my understanding there would be no math...;)

That's embarrassing, and you're right, of course. Still, not sure we've seen 75 failures on the forum, but I wouldn't be afraid of a taking a 2000 anywhere. You have just as much chance of getting in an accident or hitting a deer, IMO.

There are about 7-8 such failures reported in this forum since I got the trans rebuilt in August 2022.

Good Information is posted here:

Last edited:
Hello --l am new to this forum, so, please bear with me. I own a 2000 Land Cruiser. The transmission shot craps a few months ago, but, l don't know exactly what happened to it. It has 162,xxx miles on it with no prior problems. I had it towed to the local Toyota dealership where it has been sitting for about 5 months now. There is NOT a single re-manufactured transmission (343F) in the entire country available for sale. l also called several transmission shops in my area, and none will rebuild it. That leaves me with no other choice than to buy a "take-off" transmission with unknown history and mileage. Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Tom Lovinggood
Hi all,also new to the forum and may end up in the same boat as Tom.

My story is different though.
2005 Lx470 with 2 in Ironman lift, bumper and Rhino Rack roof rack, only 143K miles

On a road trip recently, when pulling over to get gas, started shifting funny and figured out trans cooler hose was busted and all the fluid had leaked out. h knows how long I drove with low fluid. Immediately had it towed and had my local Cruiser guy look at it. He refilled the fluid properly, and it was shifting terribly so he had to then do a flush, and it got better. BUT, the truck will still buck on downshifts every couple days. I don’t have much confidence in this transmission now. There are no error codes or anything else I can think of. My mechanic things clutch or valve body. Looking for advice on choices here:

1. Keep driving it and see if it gets better
2. Find someone to rebuild it
3. Find a reman or used tranny to have installed for about 5K
4. Take it to a Toyota dealer and see what they say

My local cruiser guy thinks drive it a while longer and in the mean time see if we can find a good used or reman trans. He feels like a rebuild would be “throwing money” at it.

I have owned this truck for 17 yrs, never had problems, well maintained and I drive it less than 5K/year, so I would strongly prefer to keep rather than sell it. Hoping to get another 150k miles out of it(which would be 30 yrs for me).

Any experiences/thought would be welcome and appreciated, and thank you in advance.

Hi all,also new to the forum and may end up in the same boat as Tom.

My story is different though.
2005 Lx470 with 2 in Ironman lift, bumper and Rhino Rack roof rack, only 143K miles

On a road trip recently, when pulling over to get gas, started shifting funny and figured out trans cooler hose was busted and all the fluid had leaked out. h knows how long I drove with low fluid. Immediately had it towed and had my local Cruiser guy look at it. He refilled the fluid properly, and it was shifting terribly so he had to then do a flush, and it got better. BUT, the truck will still buck on downshifts every couple days. I don’t have much confidence in this transmission now. There are no error codes or anything else I can think of. My mechanic things clutch or valve body. Looking for advice on choices here:

1. Keep driving it and see if it gets better
2. Find someone to rebuild it
3. Find a reman or used tranny to have installed for about 5K
4. Take it to a Toyota dealer and see what they say

My local cruiser guy thinks drive it a while longer and in the mean time see if we can find a good used or reman trans. He feels like a rebuild would be “throwing money” at it.

I have owned this truck for 17 yrs, never had problems, well maintained and I drive it less than 5K/year, so I would strongly prefer to keep rather than sell it. Hoping to get another 150k miles out of it(which would be 30 yrs for me).

Any experiences/thought would be welcome and appreciated, and thank you in advance.
Since fluid would have come out the cooler line, at more than 1 qt a minute. Shifting would have rapidly gotten strange. You hopefully ran low a short time while not under load, before noticing.

If you came to me. I'd first suggest a full 12 qt flush. Using either Toyota WS or the new Mobil MV full synthetic ATF (not to be confused with Mobil One). If issue doesn't clear-up. I'd than replace AT with a used one.

Note:
"Refill with fluid properly" Suggest topping. When topping, we risk not match fluid (manufacture), which can produce issues. It also important fluid level set with ATF at 97F to 115F. This is a lower Temp, Toyota change to. (TSB) They found the factory had set to level too low. So, the FSM procedure of dash light blinking, or temperature recommended, will leave it underfilled.

Since fluid would have come out the cooler line, at more than 1 qt a minute. Shifting would have rapidly gotten strange. You hopefully ran low a short time while not under load, before noticing.

If you came to me. I'd first suggest a full 12 qt flush. Using either Toyota WS or the new Mobil MV full synthetic ATF (not to be confused with Mobil One). If issue doesn't clear-up. I'd than replace AT with a used one.

Note:
"Refill with fluid properly" Suggest topping. When topping, we risk not match fluid (manufacture), which can produce issues. It also important fluid level set with ATF at 97F to 115F. This is a lower Temp, Toyota change to. (TSB) They found the factory had set to level too low. So, the FSM procedure of dash light blinking, or temperature recommended, will leave it underfilled.
Thanks. That’s exactly what I’ve had done by my mechanic. Better but still has issues every couple days. Since I was on a road trip cruising in 5th I fear that I drove quite a while with low fluid. As soon as I noticed it I stopped driving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom