Transmission Very Slow to Engage After Sitting for a Couple Weeks (200). (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2019 that doesn’t get driven as frequently as it should. It sits for weeks at a time. When it does sit for a 2-3 weeks, It starts normally but when placed into Drive it takes 5-10 seconds for the transmission to engage and start moving —after the initial delay it operates normally. I am wondering if tranny fluid has settled and is refilling (like with the hydraulic lifters) Does anyone have this issue (8 speed transmission)? Is it normal? Thanks

when driven more frequently (2-3 times/week) this doesn’t occur

Last edited:
I have a 2019 that doesn’t get driven as frequently as it should. It sits for weeks at a time. When it does sit for a 2-3 weeks, It starts normally but when placed into Drive it takes 5-10 seconds for to start moving and respond to throttle inputs—after the initial delay it operates normally. I am wondering if tranny fluid has settled and is refilling (like with the hydraulic lifters) Does anyone have this issues (8 speed transmission)? Is it normal? Thanks
Mine has done the same thing for the 85k miles of its 190k that I've had it.. and this is with the 6-spd. Seems to be a trend, and not necessarily one that leads to actual problems.

Edit: to clarify, when it sits more than a couple weeks. Daily operation it doesn’t happen.

Last edited:
I have a 2019 that doesn’t get driven as frequently as it should. It sits for weeks at a time. When it does sit for a 2-3 weeks, It starts normally but when placed into Drive it takes 5-10 seconds for to start moving and respond to throttle inputs—after the initial delay it operates normally. I am wondering if tranny fluid has settled and is refilling (like with the hydraulic lifters) Does anyone have this issues (8 speed transmission)? Is it normal? Thanks
How long are you waiting after startup before going into gear? I’m guessing your hypothesis is correct or on the right track.

Mine doesn’t get driven that much either but it’s a little more frequent than yours. Max mine sits would be a couple weeks. If it’s been a while since I’ve driven it after start up I’ll let it idle until the RPM’s drop to normal idle speed before going into gear and I’ve not experienced what you’re describing

How long are you waiting after startup before going into gear? I’m guessing your hypothesis is correct or on the right track.

I’ll start it and wait a few seconds to put it in gear. Not long, but after the intial start surge and idle stabilize.

Last edited:
I’ll start it and wait a few seconds to put it in gear. Not long, but after the intial start surge and idle stabilize.
Maybe give it a minute or 2 and see what happens, I’d imagine a little warm up time would nip it in the bud.

I have had similar situation where my LC200 sat for a few weeks and was not driven.
When started, I got a low voltage error and check engine light. After taking it to the local dealer (Groove Toyota) they
performed an $88 diagnostic and came back with a suggestion that I take the most recent SW update for the transmission.
They also suggested I use a trickle charger if I leave the LC without driving.

All said and done, for just under $400 I got the idiot lights turned off and a super smooth transmission!

I have had similar situation where my LC200 sat for a few weeks and was not driven.
When started, I got a low voltage error and check engine light. After taking it to the local dealer (Groove Toyota) they
performed an $88 diagnostic and came back with a suggestion that I take the most recent SW update for the transmission.
They also suggested I use a trickle charger if I leave the LC without driving.

All said and done, for just under $400 I got the idiot lights turned off and a super smooth transmission!
There's a SW update for the transmission??? Anywhere we can go to check to see if there are SW updates without going to a dealer?

I've noticed the transmission takes a tick longer to engage on startup in cold weather. Makes sense as the viscosity is higher and could take longer to build enough pressure/fluid into the torque converter.

Still maybe worth inspecting the fill level as it sounds like it takes a bit longer than expected for the OP.

I've never let mine sit for more than two weeks but I never just start it up when cold and immediately drive away. It's best to let it warm up for a minute or two prior to driving off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom