Transmission-Transfer Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

22590FJ62

SILVER Star
Threads
AAMCO is currently rebuilding the transmission and transfer case on ‘Nancy’, the 1990 FJ62. A PO had only added fluid (the wrong kind) and the seals deteriorated. She wasn’t holding pressure to get into or stay in gear. AAMCO stated that they are having some difficulty locating certain discontinued parts. Any idea what they are looking for? I’m good with refurbished but I don’t wanna do pull-a-part.

AAMCO is currently rebuilding the transmission and transfer case on ‘Nancy’, the 1990 FJ62. A PO had only added fluid (the wrong kind) and the seals deteriorated. She wasn’t holding pressure to get into or stay in gear. AAMCO stated that they are having some difficulty locating certain discontinued parts. Any idea what they are looking for? I’m good with refurbished but I don’t wanna do pull-a-part.
I recently had my A440 rebuilt and they were able to find parts. It took a long time to source some of them, so I waited patiently. I'm still waiting on the sensor that activates the 4WD light on the dash. Good luck.

without knowing which parts they are having trouble finding it is hard to say.
most likely the rear output shaft has wear,

I am in the process of rebuilding my transmission and transfer case and they had a hard time locating a transmission output shaft. I looked for a few weeks and finally found one but it wasn't easy and it wasn't cheap.

Do you know the exact parts they are having trouble locating? Thanks.

Things like this are why folks go the H55F route. Have you considered this option?

Things like this are why folks go the H55F route. Have you considered this option?
I have considered this option. That's a manual transmission, correct? I would love that...but they have already begun work on the A440. Nancy is my daily driver and since I manage a store in town, I need her to be in tip top condition. The long term goal is to turn her into a weekend warrior but for now she needs to get me from point A to point B with no problems.

I am in the process of rebuilding my transmission and transfer case and they had a hard time locating a transmission output shaft. I looked for a few weeks and finally found one but it wasn't easy and it wasn't cheap.

Do you know the exact parts they are having trouble locating? Thanks.
I would imagine that they are looking for that, but they did not specify when I talked to them this morning. She has been in the shop for about 2 weeks already.

I would imagine that they are looking for that, but they did not specify when I talked to them this morning. She has been in the shop for about 2 weeks already.
Sent you a message but unfortunately you’re going to have to get specifics from them in order to get a resolution. What are the exact parts they are needing and they aren’t able to source is key. I’m not saying they are, but they shouldn’t be hiding that info from you. Go back to the shop and ask to see what’s going on and the parts that are the issue.

I have considered this option. That's a manual transmission, correct? I would love that...but they have already begun work on the A440. Nancy is my daily driver and since I manage a store in town, I need her to be in tip top condition. The long term goal is to turn her into a weekend warrior but for now she needs to get me from point A to point B with no problems.

Yes, it is. It may sound like a huge project, but relative to tracking down some unobtainium parts, it's pretty tame. Have the conversation with your shop to see what they're trying to source and then be real with yourself on where you're at with how much longer you can spare the truck and what your costs are, then do a little comparing.

Magical how one day he didn’t have the parts and the next day when I told him I was ready to pay him and get Nancy back, he was done. The only weird thing I’ve noticed is the 4WD light faintly turns on now without being engaged.

Magical how one day he didn’t have the parts and the next day when I told him I was ready to pay him and get Nancy back, he was done. The only weird thing I’ve noticed is the 4WD light faintly turns on now without being engaged.
The 4wd indicator switch is reasonably easy to mess up during a rebuild. I buggered mine.
$25 from Cruiser Parts for a replacement. Jack up the passenger side of the vehicle to reduce loss of xfer case gear oil during the swap.

Hi, Just had mine done Transtar had all parts except for 3 Toyota transfer case seals. Mike

So update for the transmission / transfer case rebuild...

AAMCO in Memphis rebuilt everything and warranted their work [which is good news for me because 2 things that were happening before are still happening and now 2 more (3&4) things are taking place as well].
(1) there is a light pressure slip in low gearing at slow speeds. It only slightly revs the engine but there's still a slip that should not be there after paying them $6000
(2) there is still a pop sound that takes place on initial acceleration and also when going from foot on the gas to foot on the brake. I suspect I need to replace my universal joint on my rear driveshaft, but I am unsure.
(3) the 4WD light will randomly come on even when the vehicle is clearly in 2WD
(4) the shifter does not stay in 'D' but easily rests at the top of '3' while still actually being in the overdrive gear and not in 3rd

3 - easy to bugger the 4wd indicator switch on the transfer case while doing an overhaul. I had that happen and got a $25 used replacement from cruiserparts
4 - sounds like a simple linkage alignment issue. There are some threads on MUD that can help. It’s easy to access from underneath.

3 - easy to bugger the 4wd indicator switch on the transfer case while doing an overhaul. I had that happen and got a $25 used replacement from cruiserparts
4 - sounds like a simple linkage alignment issue. There are some threads on MUD that can help. It’s easy to access from underneath.
Shifter bushings also wear out too

So update for the transmission / transfer case rebuild...

AAMCO in Memphis rebuilt everything and warranted their work [which is good news for me because 2 things that were happening before are still happening and now 2 more (3&4) things are taking place as well].
(1) there is a light pressure slip in low gearing at slow speeds. It only slightly revs the engine but there's still a slip that should not be there after paying them $6000
(2) there is still a pop sound that takes place on initial acceleration and also when going from foot on the gas to foot on the brake. I suspect I need to replace my universal joint on my rear driveshaft, but I am unsure.
(3) the 4WD light will randomly come on even when the vehicle is clearly in 2WD
(4) the shifter does not stay in 'D' but easily rests at the top of '3' while still actually being in the overdrive gear and not in 3rd
wowowowowow....6k. Yikes! And still not resolved. Not even gnna tell ya waht I paid for a NEW H55 and NEW Transfer Case....id feel like i was rubbin salt in the wounds. Hope you get it resolved!!!

wowowowowow....6k. Yikes! And still not resolved. Not even gnna tell ya waht I paid for a NEW H55 and NEW Transfer Case....id feel like i was rubbin salt in the wounds. Hope you get it resolved!!!
I would love a manual transmission but I’m 6’4” and am already somewhat cramped. Can’t imagine how awkward shifting would be. Jeep TJ guys have a bracket they can install that gives them 3-4 more inches of travel on their seats. I’ve yet to find that solution for Nancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom