Transmission/Transfer Case Skid Plate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 75 FJ40 did not have a skid plate when I bought it and I looked under a 76 and it did not have one either. Is this correct or is mine missing? Has any one fabricated one or is there an after market one available?

all the 40's i've had experience with have them. my 76 had one, the PO took it off, but gave it to me with the car. many people take them off for "extra clearance" but a fabbed one could be stronger...

and i've been told their a good idea

IMO, a skid plate is a MUST have. I've had mine sitting on my custom skid, all 4 tires hanging. Without the skid, I'd have torn off the entire underside of the drivetrain...

While I have no proof, I believe that the reason t-cases shatter is in part from impact damage on trucks with stock or no skid plates.

Cheap insurance, and IMO customs are better than stock.

It would be easy to make, but Currie makes one for the FJ40.

I talked to a guy in my neighbor state that bought one from this guy. I think he had it custom built. It was beefy :eek: and he said it was a decent price. Just another option.

http://www.budbuilt.com/new/index.html

...why I have a strong skid plate...

DSCF0114.JPG

..and, what mine looks like installed...

Dscf0039.jpg

(your welcome for the poseur pics...hehehe)

Thought I spotted a stock plate on ebay. I have a stock one that needs to be altered to fit around everything. From there, additional gussets and plates should do the trick.

you just love showing those pics of your skidplate off, don't you woody

Woody,
Thanks for the pictures. I got a good laugh from those. Timing is everything.
I will check out the PMC Swap meet this week end and see what I can find. Now that I can see what it should look like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom