transmission to t-case bad seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've seen the man-a-fre return kit, but I think a more cost-effective way would be to do it myself. I was thinking about drilling a hole with a drill press through the fill plug bolt ... thread side up so I know I have it centered, buy 2 90 degree adapters and a hose that fits between them, make a really raw tap and coat the adapter with teflon to keep that sucker in. Sound like a do-able plan?
I know the exhaust runs extremely close, so maybe I might have to add some sort of heat sheild on the hose... or braided?

oh yeah...
1984 fj60 stock 4 speed, resealed and gasketed 4 speed t-case (except for that really hard to get to tranny-transfer oil seal :D )

Ummmm..

Did you re-seal and gasket this baby or did someone else?

I did, heres the deal.
I'm a senior in high school...
of course I took auto shop. My teacher guided me through the process and helped me mate all the surfaces together nicely. I didn't go for the tranny oil seal because I only had so many bits to swap, and I was acheing to get my car back together.

The leak into the transmission isn't really that bad, but I would like to install a return just as a precaution.

When the t-case is tore down, that seal is hard to get to?

Guess that I have not ever found it to be that way...

There was a parts list back in that other thread...

-Steve

I would take this as a life lesson. Do it right the first time. I cant see how the tranny to TC seal could be difficult to get to unles you did not pull all the gears out. All of it drops out. if you have done it once it is easy. Dedicate an afternoon and just do it right. Gasket kit is less that $20. Seals another $60 maybe? I would just rebuild it. Every split case needs to be rebuilt after 100K. Spend the $180 and get the kit. You can do all of it except 2 bearings yourself. Any machine shop will pull and press the other 2 for $20 or so. Plan it out and you will be down for less than 1 day.

My $.02

I rebuilt the case in my 40 (not a split case) with all new gaskets, bearings, & seals. Got it back together and the T-case still likes to pump a bit of its oil into the Transmission.

I think one of the return line kits (or a homemade variation) is a good idea "just in case". Cheap insurance instead of a puked t-case.

dd113 is right though, do it right the first time, because when is the next time you are gonna drop your drivetrain out of your vehicle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom