Transmission Temps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My transmission (auto) runs a fairly consistent temp of 200*, up to 220* when we are in the 100s. I already have an aftermarket trans cooler installed and I'm thinking about bypassing the rad cooler and running dual XL plate coolers in an attempt to keep it below 200*. My thinjking, if something as cheap and easy to install as another cooler will provide any additional life to the trans then it’s a good idea IMO…

Any thoughts, things I’m not taking into consideration?

Cleaned the metal tras. filter this year? Always helps mine. MIke

My transmission (auto) runs a fairly consistent temp of 200*, up to 220* when we are in the 100s. I already have an aftermarket trans cooler installed and I'm thinking about bypassing the rad cooler and running dual XL plate coolers in an attempt to keep it below 200*. My thinjking, if something as cheap and easy to install as another cooler will provide any additional life to the trans then it’s a good idea IMO…

Any thoughts, things I’m not taking into consideration?

I took out the rad cooler/heater from mine, because it made no sense in my climate to need to heat up my fluid to 200*. I found the transmission will get to 160* in my 7 minute trip to work(without the help of the Rad).

I did go to synthetic fluid, as it flows to -76*, just incase I find myself in a cooler climate. I'm running a B&M cooler that works well. If you need any cooler hose? I've got extra Gates brand Transmission cooler hose, rated at 300* & 400 psi. I can sell you some @ $2. per ft.(up to 20ft).

Universal SuperCooler rated at 29,200 BTU 11"x11"x1-1/2"

What type of cooler are you running? The tube and fin type, or the stacked plate type? Have you checked the volume of flow through the cooler circuit?

I've got a stacked plate type plumbed upstream of the stock in-rad cooler, and think the highest temp I've seen is 90*C (~195*F) in city traffic, usually sits well below 70*C (160*F). I guess ambient temp makes a big difference....

Keep in mind that the in-rad cooler is going to see coolant significantly lower than thermostat temp since it is located on the cool side of the core, unless your cooling system is maxed out, like on a hill climb that's heating up the ATF too. :frown:

I'm running synthetic and an 11x11 stacked plate cooler... I have not checked the volume of flow, not sure I know how - is it covered in the FSM? My driving is primarily highway (70+mph) and these Texas temps are probably a contributor.

I have not cleaned the screen this year, I should do that and see if it helps.

Is running 2 aux coolers lunacy?

Also, thanks for the offer on the hoses Benjamin, I might take you up on the offer, I'm hinking of getting rid of the hard lines anyway.

I think in one of the Rodney correspondence threads there is a description of how to do a flow test. Basically when the lines are disconnected, idle the truck for a minute (?) while adding fluid through the dipstick tube and catch what is pumped out the cooler line. Should be so many litres/quarts a minute.

If all else is working properly and you are still running hotter than you would like, I don't think a second cooler is lunacy.

Last edited:
Some years ago a guy in Colo. with an Early Bronco insisted on running a high stall converter. No, I don't know why. His trans cooling system finally arrived at two large coolers, one was under the truck and had it's own dedicated electric fan that was driven by a thermostat.

I see the radiator cooler as being important in cold climes, not so much in warmer climes. My own plan for my 700R4 is to use a fluid thermostat in parallel with an aux. cooler, and then go through the radiator cooler and then back to the trans. In this Coastal Desert I doubt that I'll need the aux cooler much, but latch onto the off road tent trailer and some of the hills that I need to climb to get out of town will work the trans pretty hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom