Transmission swap (1 Viewer)

I have a 84' BJ42 w/a 3B and 4 speed. I can get my hands on a 86' BJ60 w/a 6 cyl diesel (2H?) and a 5 speed cheep, cheep, cheep. Both trucks have the factory drive trains. I want to use the 5 speed in my BJ42. The questions is will the 5 speed from the 60 bolt into the 42. It's my understanding that they are both H55's but have different input shafts. Any comments? Any thoughts on dropping the 6 cyl into my 42?

Live long, have fun, catch waves
Steve

Correction to my last post. The truck w/the 5speed is a HJ60 I believe.

The transmission from the HJ will have a different input shaft than the BJ version, so that will need to be swapped.

You'll also need to find a (quite rare) 40-series 5spd top cover for the transmission. You can use the 60-series cover, but will have to cut a hole in the tranny tunnel several inches further back and then bend the shifter to compensate.

Of course driveline lengths will need changing.

RufusTheDufus

SILVER Star

swap the motor/trans into your 40. sell the 3b to cover the cost of the hj and the driveshafts mods you will need
This is a good idea, but there's a lot more involved than just an engine swap. New motor mount locations have to be fabricated. The exhaust runs down the opposite side of the engine on the 2H so a new exhaust needs to be fabricated and all of the stuff that's in the way needs a new home (vacuum tank and water separator come to mind.)

If you want to just use the transmission and transfer there's a bit to consider. I have never needed to purchase the 3B input shaft to convert the F/H style to the fine spline 3B style. I think the swap is fairly straightforward but the part is around $400. While you're in there you should consider installing a new seal between the trans and transfer case and do a rebuild on the tcase too. The parts for that are $200 to $250ish, I think.

With all this in mind does it still seem cheap?

RufusTheDufus

SILVER Star

I wasn't necessarily advocating rebuilding the transmission, just the transfer case. An alternative is to install one of those transfer case saver hoses and run it that way. It's a lot less aggravation and certainly less expensive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom