Transmission swap rant. Pay no attention. Just have to hammer out these thoughts. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have used a motorcycle jack to do that job on FJ62,FJ40,and a fj60.
What I did is install a flat piece of wood almost the size of the tranny and transfer case from front to back and side to side. Then all you need is a block on the transfer case to leave it out.
I hope this helps!
I have been there and done that. I have walked away from it and have come back the next day! With a clear mind.
Good luck.

I have removed and replaced my transmission/transfer case by myself in a low garage using that scissors jack from Harbor Freight. It's not easy, but it can be done. I built a support out of plywood that went between the jack and the assembly because the balance point of the whole mess is so awkward. I also had to take the assembly off the scissors jack to get it out from under the truck, so I fabricated lift point on either side of the plywood support to allow me to use a couple of small floor jacks to lift it up, slide the scissors jack out, then put it on the floor.

I'm seen some folks leave the transmission mount on, and use that to secure it to a jack or I suppose you could use a piece of plywood. I had to screw wedges to my plywood to keep the assembly level.

I have also read that you can remove the top of the transmission tunnel and use a strap/hoist from above (using a cherry picker or even a bar bridging between the front door sills) to support the assembly from above.

I bought one of the HF Tools jacks, the 800 lb. one. Took off the useless chains. For my '86 FJ60 with H55f I used a section of 2X6 with holes drilled to accept the bolts on the underside of the transmission, and attached the 2X6 to the jack. One of the screw mechanisms on the adjustment plate broke, but I was able to repair it.

I also used two bolts with the heads cut off, tapered ends, and screwdriver slot to use in the top two bellhousing holes to act as stabbing guides.

I am ready to call a junk service and pay them to take this pile of FJ62 crap out of my driveway. I have been working on this for a month now and absolutely nothing has gone right, from mis-shipped parts to a 3 day ordeal trying to put the transmission/transfer case into the truck. Oh yeah, it's still not it. The design is also the GD dumbest in history. Why have to split the GD case to take the transfer on and off? It would be much easier if I didn't have to wrestle with this 500 pound mis-shaped awkward pile of garbage trying to get it at the correct angle to install.
After today I have literally had it. I have lost my job due to greed and the Corona Virus shutdown, no one is hiring in my area except for retail, this pile of toyota garbage in my driveway has done zero for morale, and my closest friend moved to Greensborough a couple of months ago, so no help. I can't scream profanity because there are elderly people living on either side of me and they just don't need to hear all that. It is bad enough they can't walk by without seeing my ass sticking out from under the truck every day.
I can't even imagine ever getting this thing to run again but if it does it had damn well better be the best thing ever. I need a small victory or something because right now I am hating this thing and hoping a tree falls on it while I'm on a hike or something.
Sorry if you were curios and stopped to read. Like I said, I just need to get this out.

Well..... I really hate seeing folks get defeated and frustrated I've been to this point working on my trucks. This is an open invitation, If you can get your rig and parts up to my place in Calhoun, Ga. we can get it into my basement and knock it out.
:beer:

I swapped an A440F attached to split case with a generic large trans jack and a few club members in 4 hours.

The key is manpower. Having an extra set of hands to keep things moving when you get stuck or tired is the sercret.

Get one one of the locals to come over and help you get moving. Good luck.

Well..... I really hate seeing folks get defeated and frustrated I've been to this point working on my trucks. This is an open invitation, If you can get your rig and parts up to my place in Calhoun, Ga. we can get it into my basement and knock it out.
:beer:

He's just a few minutes from ACC. I would have it towed to ACC and just have them install. I betcha it will take Dugan and Co. less than 1 hour.

@Onur my friend the $6200 quote for the original rebuild is why I am doing this myself. I am sure the ACC guys are stand up guys but like the beginning of my post says I am now jobless. They are way more than a few minutes away. That would be about a $200 + repair bill. I would rather spend that money on a better transmission jack.
@BGarcia88FJ62 You are a hell of a nice guy. Yeah, it happens to the best of us. You are off the hook on this one, but some later day when this thing is back together we should get together for a beer.

I will get it together soon. I spent today traveling around to several H/F locations seeing the 800lb jack. No one has it. You know what is stupid? They couldn't check inventory from the phone for some reason. They have never been like that before. No love today. I may have to order it online and hope for speeder than a month delivery time. I have 2 irons in the fire as far as CL goes. Neither advertiser has contacted be back yet though.
The jack is key. Already bought a square of plywood to bolt to the saddle. With the jack in place the process should be less than an hour. Have to hurry up and wait. My favorite.

@Skniper How are you coming along with this transmission swap?

@Onur my friend the $6200 quote for the original rebuild is why I am doing this myself. I am sure the ACC guys are stand up guys but like the beginning of my post says I am now jobless. They are way more than a few minutes away. That would be about a $200 + repair bill. I would rather spend that money on a better transmission jack.
@BGarcia88FJ62 You are a hell of a nice guy. Yeah, it happens to the best of us. You are off the hook on this one, but some later day when this thing is back together we should get together for a beer.

I will get it together soon. I spent today traveling around to several H/F locations seeing the 800lb jack. No one has it. You know what is stupid? They couldn't check inventory from the phone for some reason. They have never been like that before. No love today. I may have to order it online and hope for speeder than a month delivery time. I have 2 irons in the fire as far as CL goes. Neither advertiser has contacted be back yet though.
The jack is key. Already bought a square of plywood to bolt to the saddle. With the jack in place the process should be less than an hour. Have to hurry up and wait. My favorite.

@Skniper How are you coming along with this transmission swap?

Keep forward progress man, always forward no matter how little or much.

Truth is I keep finding other things to do besides digging into the heavy lifting. Getting the pedal bucket in was a huge step though. Two new OEM clutch/brake pedal pads showed up today actually:D along with a few other bits related to the swap. Going to snake in and secure the fj60 clutch hard line next. 800lb Chinese trans jack is now on the very short list.
Also spent the last two days cleaning up 10 years of bad habits in the garage, I can see most of the floor now, organizing the tool box too. This had to be done before any big work started or I might’ve ‘accidentally’ spilled too much gasoline in there while smoking. :hillbilly:

Btw if we ever meet, I’m buying.

Hey man! Don't tell me you're buying! I like Texas, and it's not that far away!
Good thinking on the garage clean up. I say that because after digging into this job mine looks like a disaster area and if it wasn't at least partially organized I never could have done it. That jack is a must. I am going to get one too.
You know, I was going to snake that hard line through too but would up getting a steel braided line from JTOutfitters.
It was a little pricey but you know, it couldn't have been any easier to install. One of the few things that practically jumped out of my hands and onto the truck with very little effort, plus it eliminates that little other smaller connecting clutch hose. I try to eliminate as many places for leakage as possible.
Baby steps!
Take care man!

Yup....still buyin' LOL. I already had the oem hard line in hand but almost pulled the trigger on the JTO line. I did a test fit on the hard line recently, it's a little tricky but it goes in. Also in the mail today were the soft line to the slave cyl, and the triple layer clutch line clamps for the firewall, took some digging to find those.

No Worries, Just keep at it, it's just that right bump and wiggle and it'll drop in like butter. I'm in for a beer anytime just holla. :beer:

Was out running an actual work errand this morning, swung by Horrid Freight and picked up this thing. Ol' boy walks by me in the store while I'm looking at it and said he bought one, used it once, but it worked really well for him. Could've bought his for $50 but he lived too far away.

@Saucerman I saw the red scissor style jack there, man no wonder you are struggling.

288143C0-9D1B-44E6-AD2F-DBE7919CCF1A.jpeg

Last edited:
GAWD!!!! @Skniper Look at that! New in the box too! There isn't one of those things around here for miles. I am going to have to pony up another $40 to get one from Northern Tools. It is the same jack of course but I believe it's red. More importantly it is also in the store. I guess everyone in GA is working on their transmissions.
$50! I don't think I'll sell mine. I am sure if I did I would need it again. I am going to cut a whole in the scissors jack and use it as a drink (beer) holder when I'm in the garage. Good score though, glad you found one.

Keep trying - don´t sell ! Like others said there is light behind the dark patch....and it will be bright !
If I´m doing trans in/out work on the ground I always use a set of good quality, meaty mid size tie downs, EDIT: Ratched type tie downs, with hooks on both ends. Using the chassis as anchor you can place them everywhere. Just make shure that you have enough of them..like 5 or six. the more the better. You use them alternating. They easily lift that whole trans slow, clicking one after the next and like this you can realise angles in every direction very safe. And you can pull horizontally aswell. I actually quite enjoy doing it because it´s so safe and can easily be done alone. I use a large size one for supporting / lowering the rear and of the engine. Bolting the bellhousing seperatly at first can make a good difference too. Very nice is that you can walk away midway in and have a beer, maybe together with the mentioned smoke..... The only requirement is a fine day with no wind...not too cold not to hot. All the best for you and your truck !

Last edited:
Yes - sort of. More like having two straps each side to lift and adjust the whole thing and two in forward direction to mate it with the engine. I believe that I had the gearbox x-member attached to the 'box while doing it last time. Like that you can attach the hooks to it. Helpful to have one or two spare ones which you can attach and then release the ones which have their "winch" full of strap. Very important is that you tilt the engine down at the end. Watch fan vs radiator clearance and other things like rad hoses and the like. I found it helpful to mount the bellhousing first to the engine - then attach the gearbox. Also engage 4th speed and high range beforehand to be able to turn the input shaft while trying to mate g/box and engine. Once you "feel" the splines of the input shaft / clutch plate you can adjust accordingly to "synchronise" them. Absolutely important is to maintain as close to 100% parallelism as possible and never apply more than slight forces trying to mate the two things - they will slide easy once the splines are engaged and the things are in line and straight left to right and top to bottom. Sometimes it can be helpful turning the engine by hand a bit to make the input shaft / clutch plate slide together. Be patient and doublecheck the alignment permanently. Also don´t lie under the gearbox ...it´s very heavy and if something happens you are better not beneath it. With some experience you can lower those straps under load as well - please practise before in a safe enviroment.

That's interesting. I never thought of doing it that way before. It seems it would give you good adjustability with the right kind of straps. Thanks for the info and tips. Take care brother!

This was on a 5 speed swap.
I first tried with that scissor jack and promply threw it in the trash when it almost tipped and crushed me.
I then bought and used the HF jack like others did, however what I did was bolt a new cross member mount to the trans and then I bolted that to the jack (had to drill two holes in the jack plate. Not only was it completely stable, but I could adjust it as needed. I did this myself in my garage without lifting my vehicle (it has a 2" lift on it). While it was tight to move around, that jack saved much frustration.
I pulled that trans 2 more times with that setup. It is the only way to go. No need for straps, worry it will slip or anything as it is mounted to the jack.

Once I had it lined up and bolted to the engine, I then used a jack stand to hold the trans/transfer into position, removed the jack and bolted up the cross member.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom