Transmission swap rant. Pay no attention. Just have to hammer out these thoughts. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am ready to call a junk service and pay them to take this pile of FJ62 crap out of my driveway. I have been working on this for a month now and absolutely nothing has gone right, from mis-shipped parts to a 3 day ordeal trying to put the transmission/transfer case into the truck. Oh yeah, it's still not it. The design is also the GD dumbest in history. Why have to split the GD case to take the transfer on and off? It would be much easier if I didn't have to wrestle with this 500 pound mis-shaped awkward pile of garbage trying to get it at the correct angle to install.
After today I have literally had it. I have lost my job due to greed and the Corona Virus shutdown, no one is hiring in my area except for retail, this pile of toyota garbage in my driveway has done zero for morale, and my closest friend moved to Greensborough a couple of months ago, so no help. I can't scream profanity because there are elderly people living on either side of me and they just don't need to hear all that. It is bad enough they can't walk by without seeing my ass sticking out from under the truck every day.
I can't even imagine ever getting this thing to run again but if it does it had damn well better be the best thing ever. I need a small victory or something because right now I am hating this thing and hoping a tree falls on it while I'm on a hike or something.
Sorry if you were curios and stopped to read. Like I said, I just need to get this out.

Just take a break, walk away for a bit, it is not a easy job done alone and in a driveway thats for sure.. Been there, done that, I know the feeling.
When you get done, and you will, you will be very happy with it, I'm sure.

Good luck, stay calm, 👍 :cheers:

-
I think that tranny is too big & heavy to remove/install in a driveway with inadequate tools.

I can't imagine what tool would hold the transmission and transfer case in a correct position. The transmission jacks I have certainly are not doing the trick.

Like others have said, take a break and smoke one :smokin: if you got it...

And as stated, the right jack is essential. I can't even imagine doing those beasts automatics/t'case with a weak one.

If you don't have, find a tool rental and get or buy one from Harbor Freight then sell it when you're done.

The one OSS got from HF and added some bits to is awesome.

FWIW, I'm in the middle of replacing the timing cover gasket on my F150 pickup and I feel the same as you, cursing Henry Ford with every other breath. Just taking my time when it gets frustrating...

I have 2 of these little jacks.
They are as useless as tits on a bull because the geometry is so stupidly awkward, Transmission is not the A440. That came out with ease. I have rebuilt an H42 and Transfercase. Also have an floor jack and a couple of bottle jacks but haven't even put those to use yet. No combination has worked so far and as you all know there is precious little room.
Like I said before, I came from the old air-cooled VW world. I have pulled engines and transaxles and done just about everything else from cv's to control arms and spring plates. Never have I been confronted with such an enormous pain in the ass. I have a lot of tools, just never been confronted with anything like this as this is the first 4WD I have ever owned.
You guys are right. Walk away, enough for today. Problem is I am out of ideas for tomorrow short of finding a tool rental place of finding another jack. There is a HF relatively close. I will see if I can find OSS's post.

I am ready to call a junk service and pay them to take this pile of FJ62 crap out of my driveway. I have been working on this for a month now and absolutely nothing has gone right, from mis-shipped parts to a 3 day ordeal trying to put the transmission/transfer case into the truck. Oh yeah, it's still not it. The design is also the GD dumbest in history. Why have to split the GD case to take the transfer on and off? It would be much easier if I didn't have to wrestle with this 500 pound mis-shaped awkward pile of garbage trying to get it at the correct angle to install.
After today I have literally had it. I have lost my job due to greed and the Corona Virus shutdown, no one is hiring in my area except for retail, this pile of toyota garbage in my driveway has done zero for morale, and my closest friend moved to Greensborough a couple of months ago, so no help. I can't scream profanity because there are elderly people living on either side of me and they just don't need to hear all that. It is bad enough they can't walk by without seeing my ass sticking out from under the truck every day.
I can't even imagine ever getting this thing to run again but if it does it had damn well better be the best thing ever. I need a small victory or something because right now I am hating this thing and hoping a tree falls on it while I'm on a hike or something.
Sorry if you were curios and stopped to read. Like I said, I just need to get this out.
Walk away Smoke weed real good weed! And a 6 pack

I have one of those scissors jacks in the backyard. I got so sick of it, I tossed it into the weeds and there it sat for a few years, now. That jack is really intended for small compact transmissions, let alone something as unbalanced as one with a heavy T'case hanging off it.

@OSS being the good gentleman that he is, offered me the jack he bought from Harbor Freight and modified with a cradle. It's like night and day using the proper jack on a level concrete pad.

It's expensive, but well worth it.

Lots of people have used the lighter duty one with good results. Either way, you can Craig's list them when done and probably get a good hunk o of your money back. Build a cradle for it out of 3/4" plywood and some proper sized bolts and make some guide dowels for the Bell Housing and you'll wonder why you spent so much time struggling.

Maybe I could make a house call.. I was thinking about hitting up Beasley Knob next weekend if it's open

That scissor jack is a POS. I bought one and my buddy gave me another.
@cruisermatt I think BK is open but I would call first as there are many places still under quarantine orders in spite of the state opening back up. I don’t live too far from 75 either. You would probably have that thing back in in about 10 minutes.
@Spike Strip I will see if I can get that jack locally. That is my big struggle the jack.

I bought the 800lb-rated jack a few weeks ago and have used it on a few Cruiser transmission/transfer case combos since. It's pretty good, I wouldn't call it overkill but for the casual hobbiest it will get the job done. Make sure you bring a 20% off coupon. I'm trying to remember what I used when I first did my FJ62/H41 swap in my parents driveway as a young-ling

nope, just drop that thing on there. I do run a ratchet strap around it to secure it with the weight of the T-case hanging off to the one side. The chain they include is a huge joke

image3.jpeg

yes. Works fine. Like i said even though it says it's rated for 800 lbs I don't know if it would work well with 800lbs on it.. works well enough for the light Cruiser stuff though. Yes, I said Cruiser stuff is lightweight. Going to try to use this jack for a 500lb Spicer Eso66-7B medium-duty 7-speed beast pretty soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom