Transmission Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have rebuilt 4 speed for my 87 FJ60.

Is there a thread or a link that has the step by step on putting one back into the LC?
I have used the search function with out much luck. Maybe I am not using the right search words.

Any and all advice welcome.

Last edited:
I’ve seen a couple good threads posted here in MUD. Use the search function. One was a guy here in the Portland area. I’ve taken a couple 4 speeds out but have yet to put one in.

I have rebuilt 4 speed for my 87 FJ60.

Is there a thread or a link that has the step by step on putting one back into the LC?
I have used the search function with out much luck. Maybe I am not using the right search words.

Any and all advice welcome.

is it just the transmission or the trans/transfer combo?
the combo is simpler to do.
if just doing the transmission you'll need to swap your transfer onto the "new" trans. I would suggest a rebuild kit at the same time, and the manual for assistance.
next question would be is it the correct transmission, is it the 85-87 4 speed with the spacer plate?
how is the clutch? rear seal?
staying with the 4 speed? too bad it would be a nice upgrade to go with an H55.

a brief rundown on trans combo removal.
remove driveshafts
disconnect speedo cable and ground strap
disconnect electrical connections on transfer and trans
remove shifter stalk
remove 2H-4H lever
place support under rear of oil pan
place trans jack under trans
remove 8 bolts holding crossmember to frame
remove 4 bolts holding trans to bellhousing
slide trans combo rearward, may need to use a pry bar to help separate at bellhousing

other issue would be if it is stock height, first lift rig and set on jackstands high enough to work underneath easier and to have clearance to slide trans out under frame.
when putting on jackstands, try to keep the rig level, it will be easier to install trans that way.

If you’re reusing the tcase, pull the old tcase + trans as a single unit. Separate on a bench, rebuild tcase and bolt up to new trans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom