Transmission replacement or repair? Fj80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

the "filter" is a metal screen that can be cleaned out and it doesnt have a gasket so not sure what you ordered. the factory "gasket" is toyota FIPG in a tube.

the "filter" is a metal screen that can be cleaned out and it doesnt have a gasket so not sure what you ordered. the factory "gasket" is toyota FIPG in a tube.
Its $9 for a filter and are you suggesting not using the aftermarket gasket? I will have to find this FIPG.

I would just clean the one you have and glue the pan back on

Well, my hopes were dashed the whining noise is back. Took it to the shop. Will let you know what they find.
Do everything you can to find the root cause; those A442s are almost impossible to kill. My bet would be it doesn't need to be rebuilt and the repair would be something you can do.

I think you are correct. I added fluid and it didn't help right away. But on the way to the repair shop it stopped. Its not been back since. So I am ordering solenoids, filter and gaskets to service the transmission. Fingers crossed. I did hear the #1 and 2 can be found cheap as an Isuzu part $12 but I am still searching for part #. Otherwise I will order everything from cobra transmission.

Thanks

Isuzu 8-97202074-0
Isuzu 8-97202072-0
Isuzu 8-97202073-0

All four under $40 shipped on Ebay.

Do everything you can to find the root cause; those A442s are almost impossible to kill. My bet would be it doesn't need to be rebuilt and the repair would be something you can do.

THIS!!! aka the Bus transmission

Thanks for the encouragement but I just changed power steering fluid on my backup 06 Taurus and forgot to reconnect something. No ac until I remembered. Changed oil and didn't realize the starter is just under the oil filter. The learning curve is steep!

Thanks thus will give me the encouragement to do all when I flush out the transmission soon. Might as well since I will be in there. Hope others see this as well.

You can not beat a Toyota Reman tranny if you have to replace. Done it twice ( 2000 LX470 and 1997 LX450 ).

Unfortunately, those have been discontinued (at least according to my local Toyota and Lexus dealers). When did you source your reman'd transmissions?

I'm struggling with this dilemma myself as my transmission has been diagnosed with a broken parking pawl and I'm facing either a rebuild or replacement with a used transmission. Hopefully the parking pawl itself can be serviced, but even then it's an expensive fix.

Unfortunately, those have been discontinued (at least according to my local Toyota and Lexus dealers). When did you source your reman'd transmissions?

I'm struggling with this dilemma myself as my transmission has been diagnosed with a broken parking pawl and I'm facing either a rebuild or replacement with a used transmission. Hopefully the parking pawl can be service, but even then it's an expensive fix.
Maybe @arcteryx has one in hand that can help. I believe they are in Austin, TX.

I wanted to thank everyone who participated in this thread. Preliminary diagnosis is a bad Burfield joint and not my original opinion the transmission. Or the power steering as many suggested.
As this was my first real attempt at utilizing IH8mud. I cannot epress how invaluable this service is and I plan to participate more in the future.

Thanks again for this community.

UPDATE! The transmission noise appears after startup and usually cold. The fluid is forced up the fill tube and when cold is way above the high mark even sometimes forcing fluid out. When I drove it last the noise was apparent for the first few miles then ran just fine. I did not check the level when I parked the vehicle hot. Its currently at the transmission shop. But I am hoping that someone has had this same problem and knows what causes it.

Did you end up doing the flush like you mentioned you were thinking? Or did you add any fluid? Seems odd that it would suddenly have too much fluid.

FWIW, the Land Cruiser should have ATF in the power steering system, not power steering fluid. I use the leftover fluid from transmission service for the PS system.

I wanted to thank everyone who participated in this thread. Preliminary diagnosis is a bad Burfield joint and not my original opinion the transmission. Or the power steering as many suggested.
As this was my first real attempt at utilizing IH8mud. I cannot epress how invaluable this service is and I plan to participate more in the future.

Thanks again for this community.
You might have some luck swapping the outer driveshafts from left to right. They turn (99% of the time) only one way when you're driving forward, so the opposite bearing surfaces should be brand new. That'll get you a couple of more miles until you can plan to replace them, as opposed to an unexpected, unplanned-for expense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom