Transmission replacement or repair? Fj80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1994 cruiser and it sounds like the transmission is going out. As I live in the Charleston SC area its looking impossible to find a place to repair. Is there any options for replacing or places to contact?

Thanks.

What are the symptoms? Have you ever replaced the solenoids?

100% sure it's the transmission? Could be power steering pump? Pinion bearings? If it otherwise shifts smoothly and cycles through the gears, I would look elsewhere. The A442F is pretty stout.

Last edited:
If it does need to be repaired/replaced - ACC in Atlanta is only about a 4.5 hour drive for you.

My ’07 LX470’s tranny was making a strange noise, and I could feel it slipping. I just had a complete service done to the entire rig, tranny too, ALL fluids drained and replaced, brakes, timing belts, etc, and then drove it 800 miles. The noise started and the slipping started a few days after the trip. Stopped into a tranny shop and they found that it was two quarts low! Yeah, the idiots didn’t top it off correctly, and denied responsibility, of course. Too late though, as adding 2 quarts never helped the problem. Went to a Toy dealer and they found that some burnt marks on parts, obviously from lack of sufficient fluid, which caused the slipping. A local shop they used wanted $4800.00 for a rebuild! Toyota quoted $5000.00 total for a Toyota certified remanufactured tranny installed, with a full one year warranty through any dealership. I had no choice, was stranded. They had the tranny there by noon the next day, and I was on the road the following morning. I got a 10% Mil.gov discount, and the price was less than quoted. So all said and done, $4370.00 out the door, and that was with a loaner truck, snacks, drinks, and a free t-shirt … LOL! Ok, to be fair, I asked for the t-shirt. LOL. LX was washed and vacuumed, ready to go. Now, you might say that $4370 is high, but bare in mind, it is a certified remanufactured tranny directly from the Toyota warehouse, and is fully warranted for a year. Also, they checked everything out, I mean EVERYTHING, all included in that price. You do NOT want just anybody rebuilding your tranny, or replacing it, unless of course they are LC/LX specialized, skilled, really know what theyre doing, and they give you a warranty that beats Toyota’s. And no, I have NO affiliation with Toy or Lex. My 2 cents worth. Good luck!

I just bought a '94 80 series HDJ80 4.2 1HDT which was originally an auto but converted to a manual transmission which I found out later..
The manual transmission in this is no longer full time 4WD but 2WD on the rear when in high range, and 4WD with the center diff locked when in low range.
So the issue I have here is that I am missing my high range 4WD. I wanted to solve this problem and bought an OEM center diff lock switch which is an option on some 80 series as far as I know on these models. But it seems that the electrical wiring to the transfer gearbox or transmission is missing on my model for this option. At this time I am not sure which exact manual transmission (code) they put on but I will try to find out. Does anyone have any ideas in solving this?

Good chance it’s something else. I’d keep looking. Could he as simple as the exhaust broke off a mount, and is rubbing on a driveshaft it’s something. I wouldn’t pull the tranny until you’re sure it’s that.

I am going to put new plate and license on my other 94. Hopefully drive it down to McIntosh imports in mt pleasant sc and see whats wrong first. Got to pull the boat.

Last January my A442F died, was making a horrible grinding noise. At the time, @slow95z had several used A442F for a good price, but I found one in the local salvage yard, has been working great so far.

Last edited:
i am not that far from you if you need parts. i do have used units. i would check all fluids first. Tcase being the one that i have seen go low and make a whine.

another stupid thing to check is for exhaust leaks. if you dont have the can on the rear it will make a really weird whistle/whine noise under load.

If there really is no good repair option, I would make the investment into some good wireless Chassis Ears. You'll be able to definitely pinpoint where the sound is coming from at least.

i am not that far from you if you need parts. i do have used units. i would check all fluids first. Tcase being the one that i have seen go low and make a whine.

another stupid thing to check is for exhaust leaks. if you dont have the can on the rear it will make a really weird whistle/whine noise under load.
I think you are correct. I added fluid and it didn't help right away. But on the way to the repair shop it stopped. Its not been back since. So I am ordering solenoids, filter and gaskets to service the transmission. Fingers crossed. I did hear the #1 and 2 can be found cheap as an Isuzu part $12 but I am still searching for part #. Otherwise I will order everything from cobra transmission.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom