Transmission repair cost (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A friends has an 88 fj62 for sale, but it needs transmission repairs. Anyone had this done, have an idea of cost, how hard to get parts, etc?
thanks

Depends on what repairs are needed but full rebuild on A440 trans can be as high as $5K depending what shop does it and if they do the full Monty, including T'case (prolly will need it). Might actually be more, these days ....

This is why people swap in a 5 spd.

^ 5spd. Don’t know of many folks that have had good success with tranny shops rebuilding them.

☝️ What they said. Go manual transmission if the cruiser is being offered at a very reasonable price. The manual transmission is easy to drive but is a power stealing wanker.

☝️ What they said. Go manual transmission if the cruiser is being offered at a very reasonable price. The manual transmission is easy to drive but is a power stealing wanker.
The automatic is a power stealing hog. 5speed actually livens up the 3FE.

Wrong coast so this likely doesn’t make sense but finding decent used ones are your cheapest option if you can swap them yourself. Mines coming out for a 5 speed

Probably worth it in the long run but a few months back I was quoted a fully rebuilt A440F from wholesale automatics with all the HD bells and whistles
it was pushing the 8K mark. Out of my price range right now for sure, but If I had the cash I'd be on it.
:beer: ✌️

A few A440f data points to help you decide based on my experience:
rebuild 1: $2500 in 2013 dollars for full rebuild from a 'low cost' rebuilder. The rebuild had issues from the get go, but got bad enough (slipping, overheating) to need another rebuild after 50k miles
rebuild 2: $4500 in 2020 dollars for full rebuild from a 'do it right' rebuilder. This included a few extras: all 3 motor mounts, piping tc and trans breathers to fire wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom