Transmission question / T-Case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Question:

1986 HJ60 automatic transmission A440F, 1989 FJ62 auto transmission A440 are they the same tranny. I need to take the t-case off the 62 and put it on the 60.
Will it fit.

Pretty sure the t-cases will swap. From my understanding, it's the torque convertor, valve body that differ between them (placement of the powerband b/t the different engines). (and the bell housing according to post 6 in this thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-jdm-parts/264885-wtb-hj60-hj61-auto-trans.html)

For future posts, I would stick HJ 60 in the title, or post in the diesel section when dealing with diesel drive train issues. I don't think many of the diesel guys do more than glance through this section.

The transfers will swap out....... No problemo ........

If you swap the entire transfer case, it will be fine. Your 86 will have a 34mm idler shaft and the 89 will have a 38mm idler shaft. Also, the 62 will be vacuum shifted, not sure if a HJ60 is vacuum shifted or not.

The transmissions are different:
Bell housing
Torque converter
Valve body
Governor
The tcases can be interchanged. Both should be vacuum actuated but the HJ60 case should only have 2 electric switches, the 62 case has 3.

why are you thinking about doing this? What’s wrong with your vehicle?

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

Yes I saw that. Just wanted to add a little info for future reference.
Georg @ Valley Hybrids, Cruiser Brothers & Long Range America

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom