Transmission pumping oil into transfer case? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
photobucket.com
I read that when the seal goes between the tranny and transfer case the oil would overfill the tranny. What could be the cause of the transmission pumping oil into the transfer case and leaving the tranny low? How hard is it on the tranny to drive a long distance with it like this? I have no idea how much oil is still in the tranny. It also has the Man-a-fre equalizer kit on it but it's apparently not returning much, if any oil to the transmission. Thanks. ....Steve

PS, I searched and didn't find it but feel free to steer me to a thread if this has been discussed. Thanks.

How hard it is on the tranny is in direct correlation to the lack of oil in the gearbox, and the distance that it has been used in that condition....any oil is better than no oil...hopefully, yours is not empty....

Good luck!

-Steve

Thanks for the link Pablo, that'll be handy when I do replace the seal. Which way does the spring go? ;)

Poser, I have no idea how long it's been like that or how much oil is in the tranny. My next question would be, if you dumped some extra oil into the tranny can you damage the transfercase or once it's full, will the rest will stay in the transmission. Curious because all the other posts I've found the oil migrates the other direction.

The reason I ask is it may have a 600 mile drive coming up before the seal can be changed. Possibly driving a new rig home and don't want to kill it before it even gets to my house.

Thanks. ....Steve

Thanks for the link Gladly, that's the kind of thing I was looking for.

So can someone confirm my thinking or correct me if I'm out to lunch.

When the seal between the transmission and transfer case starts to go, oil gets paddled through the seal from the transfer case to the transmission. That's where the equalizing hose from MAF comes in.

When the seal is totally gone gravity takes over and the oil in the tranny runs down to the transfer case starving the transmission and overfilling the transfer case. No solution here but to fix the seal.

Here's my theory, and I'm grasping at straws hoping it will be safe to drive it home to get it fixed. :idea: When the truck is moving the transfer case should still be pushing oil up into the transmission and keep it lubricated right? If it could push around a rotting seal it should be able to supply some oil to the transmission when the seal it toasted right? I'm hoping the transmission will stay lubed while it's moving until I can fix it at home and the oil only runs down when nothing's turning inside.

What do you guys think? Is the theory of a desperate man sound reasonable? Thanks. .....Steve

Like you found in the other threads, a slightly bad seal lets oil pass from the T/C to the tranny. A completey worn out seal let's it flow in the other direction.

I wouldn't count on the T/C pushing enough lube back into the tranny to do much good. :(

It won't hurt the T/C to be over full. It'll find a way out and get messy eventually.

I think that I'd plan on stopping and topping off the Tranny during your 600 miles run. Do it early and after a couple of stops you should have a good idea of how often you need to keep messing with it and how fast it is leaking.

Ahh, brings back old memories... A trip from NC to Maine in a '67 Cougar that seemd likr it got better miles per gallon than it did miles per quart. ;)

Mark...

Thanks Mark, I stopped today and picked up a couple jugs of gear oil and will fill it when I start out and top it up every few hours. I'm planning on changing it as soon as I get home but it needs to be in tact when it gets here. Thanks for the advice. I'll post up when I get it home with my results of the trip. ....Steve

My 55 had the same thing. it had 70k with the same set up you have now.A lot of hyw and wheeling so you sould be ok but fix it so you don't have to think about it ever agin!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom