Transmission Problems

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by 90Cruiser, Mar 18, 2004.

1. 90Cruiser

90Cruiser

I have a 90 fj62. It is primarily my winter rig and wheeler in the summer. I just replaced the rear drums, shoes and lines. And today my transmission starts acting up. It won't shift from 1st and reverse doesn't work so well. Am I low on tranny fluid or is it time for a new tranny? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. cpip

cpip

I can't help much, but mine started doing something similar last summer. It would shift from 1st only using the gear shifter. The problems started after my wife drove for ? miles with the high trans temp light on. I assumed it was shot and put in a used tranny I got for $400. If it was only a valve body problem, a mechanic may have been able to fix for cheaper but I never had it looked at.

3. 60wag

60wag SILVER Star

Checking the fluid level would be a good start. Changing the fluid and cleaning the filter would be worth trying before replacing the whole thing.

4. 90Cruiser

90Cruiser

thats part of my problem. I don't have much knowledge about toyota's, but my mechanical knowledge is fine. how and where do I check the fluid level? I have a haynes coming tomorrow but I would like to get this fixed asap.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.