Transmission problem. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think I have a small transmission problem. :D Anyone know how to put this thing back together???

Well, turns out my transmission is in pretty good shape, as far a the forward gears and clutches are concerned. The reverse clutches and steels are completely trashed, as is my pump for some reason. All this leads me to a few new conclusions about transmission work:

1) I will NEVER spend a lot of money on high priced transmission fluid again, because apparently, it don't help. It's the cheap stuff from now on.

2) When you take your trans to the "best in town", don't expect it to be done right. I knew I should have done it myself from the get go.

3) If you are not good at making your own tools, never attempt anything like this.

4) One good DVD video replaces an entire library of books, lol, I hate reading anyway.

Back to work! This is kinda fun!
042510_11401.jpg

where did you have your transmission work done. Did you change your transmission oil at the intervals that they recomend. because aparently if you let it go to long without a change it actually will hurt your transmission to do the flush.

That is impressive Luke, hope you get it fixed up quickly. But I see your transmission problem...it's a Chevy! :lol:

where did you have your transmission work done. Did you change your transmission oil at the intervals that they recomend. because aparently if you let it go to long without a change it actually will hurt your transmission to do the flush.

Had this transmission re-built by a shop when I lived back in Shreveport, LA. Guy was recommended by the 4x4 shop I was working at. Traded out some electrical work to get it done, looks like he got the better end of the deal. I'm pretty sure he didn't replace the bushings in the transmission's pump, This is what failed and where all my damage is. I fell pretty good that I will do a better job. Trans only had about 40,000 miles on it.

Leon, I would have to agree with you. I should have bought an FJ80 long ago. Oh well, now I'm stuck.

Things are coming along nicely. Had a snafu with the trans case, turns out my two dowel pin holes were distorted beyond use. This causes the trans to not line up correctly and wears the pump and converter prematurely. Found another case for free on Craigslist, guy tore it apart and didn't want to fool with it when he saw all the parts inside. Lol. All in all, this has been very interesting and almost addictive, I can't wait to work on the thing most of the time. I have gone from giving myself a 75% success rate to knowing I'm gonna pull this off 100%.

Couple of pics: 1) Valve body going back together after cleaning--it had so much friction disk grit in it that some of the valves were stuck completely 2) Tools you have to make to save yourself hundreds of dollars. I think I spent more time making tools than I did tearing the trans down. :grinpimp:
vavle body.jpg
trans tools.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awsome Luke,
I'm very happy for you! Pretty soon you'll be on those trails and not have to hitch rides on the back bumper of Jeeps to keep up with us...
:p

If your addicted, I can let you rebuild my trans on the 40...:clap::cheers:

Luke, Awesome job! When do you think you'll be up and running?:steer:

Should be no more than two weeks. That's my plan anyway.

Had to get my replacement trans case welded because I discovered a crack in it, then had to wait to get a new bushing pressed into the rear of the housing. I Think the prep work is done though, started to put it together last night. New case is out of an '89 suburban and is the higher rated 4x4 "K" series case, instead of the passenger car case I had before. Been needing to make that change for a while.

Done! Man, I hope this thing works! It's so pretty and clean, I hate to put it back in the 4runner. :D
050410_20091.jpg

Done! Man, I hope this thing works! It's so pretty and clean, I hate to put it back in the 4runner. :D

Well, if it does not work, it will make a great center piece for the dinning room table!

If it doesn't work, I'm going to be depressed for a week. Hoping to have it together for the Wheeler Lake attempt. :)

If it doesn't work, I'm going to be depressed for a week. Hoping to have it together for the Wheeler Lake attempt. :)

I'm sure it will work, and you probably did a better job than the shop you took it to. :cheers:

Thanks for the vote of confidence Rui! I think it's going to work, time will tell.

I tell you, like always, I have been having more fun that should be possible in the little red truck. I seem to get out and wheel that thing more than a sane person should when the big rig is down. That crazy thing gets like 24-28 MPG and wheels on the cheap all day long for almost nothing. Some wonder why I even have the 4runner when I can go everywhere it can in the rust bucket, but I have to tell you, I am SICK of that manual transmission. LOL, I guess it's just not for everyone. On the weekends I am NOT with the club, it's just too hard to drink a :beer: and drive that thing at the same time. Automatics rule in my book.

That crazy thing gets like 24-28 MPG

:rolleyes:

Id like to see some proof on that one.. ive always gotten around 20 with mine.

Maybe thats because i like to keep up with traffic :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the vote of confidence Rui! I think it's going to work, time will tell.

I tell you, like always, I have been having more fun that should be possible in the little red truck. I seem to get out and wheel that thing more than a sane person should when the big rig is down. That crazy thing gets like 24-28 MPG and wheels on the cheap all day long for almost nothing. Some wonder why I even have the 4runner when I can go everywhere it can in the rust bucket, but I have to tell you, I am SICK of that manual transmission. LOL, I guess it's just not for everyone. On the weekends I am NOT with the club, it's just too hard to drink a :beer: and drive that thing at the same time. Automatics rule in my book.

Well, the only stick I have is the FJ, so it's fun for me...but usually that thing will go just about anywhere on a trail on second high, so I don't need to shift much if I don't want to, as long as I don't stop I'm ok. I tuned up the carb a bit more after last run and there is improvement in the performance, the oil pan leaked a drop, so I re-tightened the bolts to 10 ft/lbs, looks like that did it.

As for the Red Rust bucket...if that thing had some Kevlars on it...it would be unstopable...you could not get out of the Ice last time because you had no rubber to grab....:banana:

:rolleyes:

Id like to see some proof on that one.. ive always gotten around 20 with mine.

Maybe thats because i like to keep up with traffic :D

Mine is lighter. :grinpimp: You have to get some rust on yours and lose some sheet metal. When I go to Greeley to see my parents, I do the mileage math and get 29 MPG, but I figure the 31" tires skew that a little so it's more like 26. And yes, I do drive slow, mostly because I have an unbalanced tire. Hell, I get between 14 and 17 in the big black rig, sounds like you should be getting better Trevor.

The transmission is back in the rig and I'm happy to report it is working great! Never been so happy with this transmission. It would seem it has been going out or having trouble for a long time. Used to always have to almost floor it to get it to downshift and the line pressure would be so damn high that far into the throttle that when it did shift you had to look back and see if you left the axle back on the road, now it shifts smooth as a brand new unit and does it lightning fast without being harsh at all. The guy who built this trans the first time told me the factory converter lock up would never work right and I would have to go with an aftermarket lock up kit, It always kinda sucked because it used vacuum and would hunt in and out, so I put a switch on the dash and locked in manually--but then I couldn't use my cruise if it was locked..........yada, yada........damn all that, I put the factory wiring back in and it works wonderful and I can fly down the highway at 70 MPH with the cruise control on running 2650 RPM all day long. I love it!!!! Used the TCI "truck master" kit. If anyone ever wants to rebuild thier 700r4, I highly recommend this kit. :cool:

So how much did it cost, how much did you save????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom