Transmission pan removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gasket is leaking so I thought I'd replace it. The pan is hung up where the dip stick tube connects to the dipstick tube running to the engine compartment. I can see the joint...it's only about a foot away from the pan. I looked up the diagram of the pan and can see this tube extension is integral to the pan. That joint has got to give, no?

I PB blasted it and tried the torch a few times but it doesn't wanna budge. Any hints?

Thanks

Nick

Got it! That tube was stuck on there pretty well. PB Blaster and several tries with the torch, gently jiggling the pan so as to not break or bend the tube finally loosened it enough to come off. Cleaning and replacing next.

If I'm thinking of the same thing you're talking about - there's an o-ring (or used to be) so that will need to be replaced.

If you're in NY and dealing with corrosion you might consider a pre-emptive replacement of the kickdown cable, the bottom end of which is only accessible with the pan removed.

Ha! Too late on the O ring if there ever was one. The pan is back on. I guess it makes sense there was an O ring at the junction of the pan tube and the dipstick tube but so far so good.

Meanwhile I woke up to a leaking pan this AM. Took it out and warmed her up at bit and have been torqing the bolts every once and a while. Amazing I can just keep tightening them. I'll keep after them. Seems to have quieted down but time will tell. Car shifts great BTW.

If I have o do it over I'll use the O ring and gasket sealer next time. Hopefully not!

My concern with that joint design is that it is a water collector IIRC. With the dipstick tube slipping into the pan from the top. Maybe if you're not fording water you're ok. It's up to you of course but I'd replace the o-ring when you get a chance.

Meanwhile I woke up to a leaking pan this AM. Took it out and warmed her up at bit and have been torqing the bolts every once and a while. Amazing I can just keep tightening them.
If they keep tightening be careful not to strip the threads. Is it leaking in one particular spot or around the whole pan?

Could also be leaking out the dipstick tube o-ring and down around the pan. Without an o-ring, that would be a pretty gnarly leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom