Transmission out of vehicle, while you're in there (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

musthave

Doc says I'm 1 in 120K. Lucky?
Supporting Vendor
Threads
I've got the engine and transmission out of my 97 cruiser and am slowly preparing to put the new block and existing transmission back in soon.

Before taking things out, the transmission worked flawlessly and has had no issues. 254K miles.

While I've got the transmission out, is there any maintenance that I should complete on the transmission or transfercase? I don't want new gears, etc. Curious what others have done in a similar situation.

At this point I am only going to change the fluid and filter.

Everything you can afford. And borrow money for the rest.

Joking aside you'll never regret doing what you can.

Rear main seal, rear oil pan arch seal (easy because you don't have to remove the oil pan), input and output seals on the tranny and tcase.

No real need or recommendation to change the "filter" on these trucks, it is more of a metal strainer and only needs to be cleaned IIRC. Someone else can confirm.

No real need or recommendation to change the "filter" on these trucks, it is more of a metal strainer and only needs to be cleaned IIRC. Someone else can confirm.

I did the trans oil pump and input. When I had mine out.

pan can be dropped with it in. And ya strainer filter that I just flush out with brake clean. Only cost $250 to have tighter stall and new lockup clutches put in The converter if your adding any power to the system.

Think about things that are accessible on the chassis as well now that everything is out. Rear heater hoses come to mind.

Definitely rear heater hard lines, the forward ones that go up to the firewall. Almost impossible to get them in with the transmission in place.

All input and output seals. My transmission output seal is leaking and I really don't want to drop the t case to deal with it. Don't put yourself in my shoes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom