Transmission or Transfer Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so my 74 FJ has a leak, but I'm not sure if it's coming from the transfer case fluid or the transmission case fluid.

If the leak is coming from the photo below which resouviour is that coming from? Would adding some leak stop stop the leak?

leak1.jpg

leak2.jpg

leak3.jpg

thanks for the help.

John

You may have a bad seal and is getting past it and leaking inside the drum. Get a rebuild kit and a new seal and that should take care of it. Get a speedy sleeve just in case the shaft is worn.
ahh thanks.. the rebuild kit would be for the? Transfer case?

John

John, the kit is for the drum parking brake. Most likely the seal on the shaft coming out of TC is leaking. It's behind the big nut, which you will see when you drop the front of the rear driveshaft. As stated above, when you get the old seal out, look carefully at the shaft, make sure there is not a groove where the shaft spins in the lip of the seal.
Pull it apart and show us a couple of pics, all kinds of bright lads on here.
Frank

The nut is on the back of the transfer case where the brake drum is.

The seal is behind the backing plate and the rebuild kit covers parts 1-5.

1675090930798.jpeg

Last edited:
The seal that is leaking is in the tail housing of the tcase, Mudrak & Cruiser Brothers sell a double seal rear tail housing, or you can put a new seal in your housing, the double seal units are made to solve this problem. The speedi sleeve that was mentioned is a repair sleeve in case the surface on the e-barke drum snout that the seal rides on is all chewed up you can cover the bad surface with the speedi sleeve.

View attachment 3233805
I need to replace the T-case seal, but not rebuild the parking brake as it was just done. How much of the parking brake do you have to take apart to get to the seal behind it? Can you just slide the brake off as a whole?

Are you sure it is gear oil? and not coolant or other? Looks green to me. That brake drum is the low point that all sorts of leaks can collect on and drip from.

I need to replace the T-case seal, but not rebuild the parking brake as it was just done. How much of the parking brake do you have to take apart to get to the seal behind it? Can you just slide the brake off as a whole?
If the brake shoes are contaminated you will have to clean them or replace the. When mine leaked I was not able to get the brake to hold and it rolled down a driveway.

I’ve read in other posts to use silicone or some kind of sealant on the splines as well as replacing the seal. Is this advisable? What sealant should used if so. I have the double seal and will be assembling mine in the next few days.
Any oil resistant RTV like Ultra Blue or Black

I use non hardening sealant, like permatex #2. I think Toyota sells a similar sealant too. Use it just on the splines.

I’ve read in other posts to use silicone or some kind of sealant on the splines as well as replacing the seal. Is this advisable? What sealant should used if so. I have the double seal and will be assembling mine in the next few days.
If you want to stay with Toyota FIPG 00295-01281. :)

Could you post the pic(s) for the speedometer housing behind the brake drum? I need to replace the seals.

Thanks,
Jon

Put some florescene dye in either the tranny or the t-case(assuming there is no seal leak between the two), where ever the dye shows up, that's where the leak is--(the dye comes in different colors, and will not compromise the oil)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom