transmission options for diesel 4-cyl 60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm not sure if this should be here or in the Diesel section, but anyway...

A non-Cruiserhead friend called to tell me he just bought a '79 60 with a diesel 4-cyl and a manual 4-speed transmision. He didn't know the code numbers, and I don't know them, so I can't pass them on to you... but you probably known them, anyway.

My friend doesn't go wheeling and he's not a die-hard Toyota Nut (yet), he bought this truck becuase it was dirt cheap and was a one-owner vehicle owned by a friend of his.

The other considerations are that he has a 50 mile each way daily commute so he needs to save money on gas, but he has a full-size black lab who comes to work with him every day, so he wanted a vehicle with room.

His commute includes a 1200' ascent/decent over a mountain pass.

He was wondering if there's a 5-speed, or a 4-speed w overdrive that he could (relatively) easily swap-in. Is there a model that would work? And will it be a good match for his application?

What other options does he have? Regearing?

The 3B doesn't have the power with the 5th gear for hill, barely the prairies.

Turbo would help it on the hills, bigger tires can provide a overdrive.

Generally a 3b in 60 spends most of it's time in 4th anyhow.

Does he think it rev's too much now?

The 3B doesn't have the power with the 5th gear for hill, barely the prairies.

Turbo would help it on the hills, bigger tires can provide a overdrive.

Generally a 3b in 60 spends most of it's time in 4th anyhow.

Does he think it rev's too much now?

Yes, the issue isn't power/accelleration, it's just a matter of reducing the revs at highway speed. No extra weight such as bull-bar or anything like that. Generally it's stock GVW plus two or three adults and a big fat dog.

He goes camping, but doesn't tow a trailer. Not sure what tire size he has on there now, but I'm betting stock-sized A/Ts. What's stock, 31"-ish?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom