Transmission on its way out (I think) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Everything seemed to be fine in the morning except in the evening when i was leaving work and put the car in reverse it did not go anywhere under throttle input but it just costed back since it was an incline. Put it to drive it did not want to shift to 2nd until i shifted it manually but after i put it back to D it would shift back to first and stay there. Do you think the transmission has had it?

Let me run you down on the car

Its a 2000 LC 4.5 inline 6 Auto. Its done 377K kms bought it from a friend at 346K kms he did tell me that the transmission would not be at its best in a cold start. So i always tried to be careful with it. What would happen on a cold start is that the gears would slip from 1st to 2nd i always had to wait for two or three minutes and then set off.

Maybe you're low on fluid. Check the easy stuff like fluid level first.

Can an automatic trans fail for both front and reverse?

When did you last change (drain and fill) the transmission fluid?

Checked the fluid level. Seems to be fine
Not to be a jerk, but there is a specific method for correctly checking AT fluid level that is different than say checking the oil level. It is described in the manual. Trans must be at correct temperature (warmed up, 10-15 minutes of driving that involves shifting), then trans cycled between all gears on a flat surface, THEN check fluid. Is that the process you followed?

Again, I have had the same exact car with the same issue.
Transmission clutch packs are toast.
Get a used trans from Sharjah and have it replaced there.
Check if the trans cooler is in good shape and make sure Dexron 3 or D-II Toyota fluid is used and not T-IV.

Someone had replace with Q8 fluid (similar to Toyota WS) on my A442F instead of Dex III or Toyota type iv (it is OK for the A442f) and within the same week reverse fail and the following day it doesn't go beyond 2ND gear. There was no drive later that evening. Component includes the valve body toast.

(UPDATE)

Today morning I started the car. It shifted to reverse and I am able to back up normally. I left it to idle for some time and now it shifts beyond second as well. There is transmission fluid which has leaked. I did do the steps mentioned above to check the transmission fluid level and it is exactly where it's supposed to be at.

Again, I have had the same exact car with the same issue.
Transmission clutch packs are toast.
Get a used trans from Sharjah and have it replaced there.
Check if the trans cooler is in good shape and make sure Dexron 3 or D-II Toyota fluid is used and not T-IV.
Do you recommend to get the transmission overhauled or replaced?
How much did it cost you to do the entire Job?

Do you recommend to get the transmission overhauled or replaced?
How much did it cost you to do the entire Job?
Most places in the UAE claim they can repair but almost all of them replace in my experience.
I paid 3500 for mine but it took them 2 different transmissions to get it right, and created some other issues as well but everything is okay now.
Wouldn't recommend the place i had it done at.
Sharjah is your best bet.

(UPDATE)

Today morning I started the car. It shifted to reverse and I am able to back up normally. I left it to idle for some time and now it shifts beyond second as well. There is transmission fluid which has leaked. I did do the steps mentioned above to check the transmission fluid level and it is exactly where it's supposed to be at.

Did you check the transmission fluid level with the engine running or off?

I did the same thing the first time I touched an automatic, checked the ATF level after stopping the engine. The level goes down when starting the engine, and that's when you have to check the level. So, with the engine idling, you might find that you need another litre or two.

Most places in the UAE claim they can repair but almost all of them replace in my experience.
I paid 3500 for mine but it took them 2 different transmissions to get it right, and created some other issues as well but everything is okay now.
Wouldn't recommend the place i had it done at.
Sharjah is your best bet.

Sorry to go off topic who do you find best for spares and second hands parts in the UAE for lexus and toyota.Thanks

No problem I'm in Al Ain.You know any good ones in Sharjah tryed looking online not much luck.Thanks

IMG_6409.JPG

Is it possible to install a 5 speed auto instead of the 4?

Has anybody done something like that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom