Transmission mileage threshold? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at lx470s as a beach cruiser/kid hauler.

I am an avid wrenching so i dont mind a bit of a project especially since i am looking for a steal around $7k 130k miles ish. I am in the northeast (Philadelphia) so beutyfull rust free examples arent in my future. I have friends in Vegas and San Diego but similar years and miles are $3k then what I am seeing around me.

I know the "you get what you pay for" or "buy the one serviced by a dealer every 5k miles" but thats simply not in the cards. Again I dont mind the doing the dirty work and my ideal example would be one on bumpstomps anyway since i want to go the OME route so i never have to worry about AHC diagnosing.

ANYWAY

The original question is going to be, if its already at 130k miles and shows no symptoms of trans slipping, shuttering at 32mph ect, am i reasonable to assume that its a keeper. I know nothing is a sure thing, but the if it a bad mechanical part would it have happened by now?

I know maintenance records are god, but how particular are these transmissions if they have gone past the 30k fluid change service interval?

At my price range i am accepting that they might not have had the best most diligent owner in the last couple years but the other parts that scare me (financially) to have to replace are engine and trans. Hopefully being a lexus they at least saw pampering for the first 70k miles.

What year model?

Transmissions are different through the years.

What year model?

Transmissions are different through the years.

so far any that im seeing are of the 4spd generation at or around $7k and 130-150k miles. Knowing that the 2000s seem to have localized issues the question still remains. If it was a "problem child" would it have already happened by 130k or at least showing signs of failure. Again, at my price range, they were probably not meticulously maintained (unless i get lucky) so i would have imagined that this would just increase the likelyhood of feeling symptoms if it was a bad one from the factory.

so far any that im seeing are of the 4spd generation at or around $7k and 130-150k miles. Knowing that the 2000s seem to have localized issues the question still remains. If it was a "problem child" would it have already happened by 130k or at least showing signs of failure. Again, at my price range, they were probably not meticulously maintained (unless i get lucky) so i would have imagined that this would just increase the likelyhood of feeling symptoms if it was a bad one from the factory.
No magic "home-free" mileage, and no correlation to maintenance history. Fortunately, the failure rate is extremely low. It's slops over from '99 into '01 at even lower rates. I don't hesitate to take my '00 out in the boondocks, or cross-country. Buy it, drive the snot out of it...

I bought an '05 LX last summer and the transmission had issues and was replaced. It only had 53k miles on it. Definitely check for the usual signs and also make sure you make a few abrupt stops during a test drive to see if that triggers anything.

These are toyotas and your asking about potential transmission replacement around 130k?

The failure rate among Toyota trannies is really low, especially the 100 series. There were isolated issues in the 2000 trannies that showed more failures than any other year, but I'm at 134k on my original transmission with absolutely no issues.

I would worry about so many more potential expensive items than they transmission. Brake booster pump, cvs, AHC if it's an LX.

If you can find one for $7K with only 130K miles that shows ok and runs ok on a test drive, "steal" it. Do a complete PM (including all the stuff that has been put off), put on the OME suspension, get some decent tires for the beach, and drive like you stole it (because you pretty much did).

All in All.... Toyota transmissions enjoy a good reputation for reliability and longevity.

I have the A343F in my 80 series and also in my LX470. I have 298K and 196K on each respectively. Bone stock, normal maintenance.

Great to hear all the feedback.

I had done a lot of research on abs booster diagnosis since its a common failure on Monteros (also on the short list along with gx470s and Sequoias) and given the mileage i would likely pull it and have it rebuilt no mater what as part of my brake base lining.

Im not too worried about CVs as a reboot would be in its future no mater what it would only be dependent on hearing the first front end noise and doing a total rebuild of joints, hubs rebuilt, ball joints, ect.

While i like the AHC, the first part that costs more then $200 and its gone for OME :)

Wrenching can be therapeutic, i just do not want the expense (parts cost) or surprise timing of dropping and replacing a transmission. I am happy to put that phase of gear head work behind me.

Great to hear all the feedback.

I had done a lot of research on abs booster diagnosis since its a common failure on Monteros (also on the short list along with gx470s and Sequoias) and given the mileage i would likely pull it and have it rebuilt no mater what as part of my brake base lining.

Im not too worried about CVs as a reboot would be in its future no mater what it would only be dependent on hearing the first front end noise and doing a total rebuild of joints, hubs rebuilt, ball joints, ect.

While i like the AHC, the first part that costs more then $200 and its gone for OME :)

Wrenching can be therapeutic, i just do not want the expense (parts cost) or surprise timing of dropping and replacing a transmission. I am happy to put that phase of gear head work behind me.
Just to mention, 2UZs can be found for a dime a dozen because they have a very low failure rate. So as long as you are mechanically inclined, you can probably swap in a new "used" engine for $1000.

The biggest issue to me would be the general expensive price of parts compared to other toyota models and american trucks. If your ok with that, go get a cruiser. Make sure its solid before you purchase it and it will serve you for a long time.

As for CVs I wasn't mentioning a reboot. More worn cruisers have needed full CV replacement due to worn joints and bearings. Or they sometimes have play between the drive plate and CV shaft. Both require CV replacement, the latter requiring a new drive plate as well. Aftermarket CV shafts don't play well with our trucks, so OEM or OEM rebuilt is your best option, both can get pretty expensive.

Also I wouldn't even touch the brake pump unless/until it started giving me warning signs. The failure rate on these is pretty low as well.

Do some reading here and you'll understand some of the weak points. But the last thing I ever worry about is my drivetrain.

@punkrockpoppa has almost 400k miles on his original 99 trans.

^^^^^^ Yowza! That's amazing.

I have 298K on my '97 80 series tranny, but never entertained the idea it might go another 100K, or that the tranny in my LX 'could' live that long.

I'll have to start treating them nicer.

I'm at 293k on original tranny on my 99.

OP, do make sure your potential purchase doesn't have any trans symptoms and obviously when you turn check for CV clicking. Do all the normals stuff you would do when checking out a vehicle. But as dirtdawg basically said, don't sweat stuff that likely won't go wrong. I have 250,000 miles on my truck, have never replaced the brake booster, never flushed my power steering reservoir, still on the original steering rack, same cvs, same tranny, engine, and have never replaced the timing belt. Did a starter, front diff (known weakness on my '98 so I went ARB locker after I blew it) ball joints and tie rods. That's it.

1. Buy it
2. Mod it
3. Drive it
4. Smile
5. Repeat

Seriously, a bunch of guys on here own several of these things so feel free to repeat 1-5 as often as necessary to maintain happiness.

Definitely be cautious when checking out a new rig but also don't overthink it, I have a 98' with 285k on original transmission.

As you may notice below in sig line.....My 2000 has 304k miles with not a second of tranny issues, the '96 has 446k miles with not a second of tranny issues.....nor do the other three below. And....I don't know the last time I changed the tranny fluid in any of them. i check it regularly but do nothing because it always smells right, looks right and tastes right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom