transmission mechanic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anyone know of someone local That can work on atransmission and transfer case out of a FJ 40 1970.I live I Metairie

I had a great experience with The Transmission Depot on hwy59 in mandeville (I know it is a ways from met). they pulled my tranny out of my 74 40 and replaced the input shaft. They did a nice job.

What's wrong with them? Don't know of any specific shops on the south shore but LJ at Northshore Toyota can work wonders.

I need to replace the rear main seal on the engine. So I figured while it was out I should replace the Seals and seals and bearings.

Give mike weeks at lakeside Toyota a call. He can get you with the service department and you get the llk member discount. I find with the discount the dealerships prices are usually equal or better than a stand alone shop.

how much does it leak ? if it's a drop per day, just fill it up

how much does it leak ? if it's a drop per day, just fill it up

Its heavy so much so you can't tell were it's coming from until you degrees everything. About a
Quart every week to ten days.plus it's makeing the drive way look like crap.

I keep mine in the garage with plywood and cardboard underneath. I have given up on fixing leaks. I have also been told that this will keep the frame and undercarriage from rusting. Drive around and the "lubricant" is spread all over. :eek:

What's wrong with them? Don't know of any specific shops on the south shore but LJ at Northshore Toyota can work wonders.

Hay BangBang does LJ do all his work at NorthShore toyota? And as far as getting in touch with him do I just call the service department and ask for him? Thanks

There's Angelo's on N. Causeway, just off Metairie Road. Between Metairie Road and Airline. He's probably more of a GM/Ford guy, but I suspect he can work on pretty much anything. Reasonable rates.

Adding my experience for future searchers looking for a transmission shop. I do not recommend the Transmission Depot in Mandeville on Hwy 59. I had a used A440 shipped there for my FJ62 and had them swap it out. One of the things I asked them to look at was a leak in the at the fitting where the transmission fluid line enters or exits the radiator. A couple weeks ago the car's idling in the driveway and I notice a steady drip of transmission fluid coming from the same spot - I climb under to take a look and their "fix" was to glob JB Weld all over the bottom of my new radiator. In addition, they kept the car for over a month, never did give me an estimate of how long it would take or cost, and when I called asking if I could fetch a key out of the console, I was told that it was up on a lift and he didn't have a ladder to reach it.

The guy's into hot rods and I assumed his attention to detail may translate into a decent job on the car, but mostly I felt like I was a nuisance to him. In hindsight wish I'd gone somewhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom