Transmission leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright guys. Still fairly new to the 80 world. But I've developed a leak. It appears that I'm leaking from the rear of the transmission. It's for sure transmission fluid.

So far this is what I've done.

Checked power steering hoes and assembly. No leaks.

Checked fluid in trans. It's leaking but hardly shows up on dipstick.

It's not rear heater hoses as they were just replaced and in good shape.

My question is that with the A440f trans is there a rear output shaft seal? That's all I can figure.

If not do I just use FIPG to seal trans to the t-case!

Is there a t-case input shaft seal?

I've searched and searched with no luck. Still waiting on my FSM to show up.

I know the case uses gear oil.

I'm at a lost and it's driving me crazy that I'm dripping trans fluid in my driveway. Any help or ideas?

My question is that with the A440f trans is there a rear output shaft seal? That's all I can figure.
Is there a t-case input shaft seal?

The trans and transfer have seals, there is an air space between them. Clean the mess and see where it first comes out. If the output is leaking, it will come out the little vent hole between the trans and transfer.

Still waiting on my FSM to show up.

Instant gratification, well almost.

Thanks so much. huge help there. Gonna sound like a complete dummy but..... is there a gasket between the trans and t-case mounting surfaces? Do i just use some FIPG. In all of the exploded diagrams i haven't found a gasket, but it also appears that there is one. Its my daily driver so I want to be as prepared as i can be before i tear into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom