Transmission Leak; How Much Trouble Am I In?….. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, fairly new to the forum but have been using it for all of the DIY work on my “New To Me” 2003 LX470. Just Mai LCY doing the baselining so far but I’ve come up with what I’m afraid I’m is going be a big issue. I’ve developed a massive transmission fluid leak, I’ll attach a few photos to better illustrate the problem. Could anyone give me an idea of what I’m looking at here? I’m just your basic DIYer changing fluids and bushings and the like so far (although I did change out my AHC sub-Assembly pump motor, pretty proud of that 😉). This looks to be something serious that’s going to require a good shop. I would just like get a few opinions from all of the guys on here before I take it somewhere. Thanks in advance for any I sifpght that anymore of you mudders can provide.

1330C198-ADFC-4A96-B96B-E8849225EDF8.jpeg

FDB6E2EF-29EE-47B1-B43A-273CD532880F.jpeg

Looks a lot more like coolant than ATF to me. It's a WAG, but have a look for crusty pink/red stuff at the rear crossover pipe. If the engine is cool, look at your coolant reservoir and possibly even pop the radiator cap to visually check the level. Your heater tees are up there as well, and those are even more likely to be leaking if they haven't been addressed before.

Or reach up and grab a drop—if it's ATF, it smells like dinosaur ass and will be super oily.

Looks a lot more like coolant than ATF to me. It's a WAG, but have a look for crusty pink/red stuff at the rear crossover pipe. If the engine is cool, look at your coolant reservoir and possibly even pop the radiator cap to visually check the level. Your heater tees are up there as well, and those are even more likely to be leaking if they haven't been addressed before.

Or reach up and grab a drop—if it's ATF, it smells like dinosaur ass and will be super oily.
Thanks for the quick response Saucebox! What/Where is the rear crossover pipe??

My first thought was engine coolant as well. I have changed out the radiator a few months back and figured that I had goobered Up a coolant line on the bottom. After checking around the radiator at all of the connections I found no leaks.

My next thought was Heater Ts since I have changed those recently too but no fluid around any of those either.
The fluid appears to flow out of the weep hole in the picture provided, and I mean flows.

I Checked the radiator and its topped off….

😩

What does the fluid feel like? The trans oil has a particular feel to it versus coolant.

Did you look at the coolant cross-over pipe that sits at the back of the engine on the top? It could be leaking in a way where you may not be able to notice it from the top.

Thanks for the quick response Saucebox! What/Where is the rear crossover pipe??

It's a coolant crossover pipe, from one side of the V to the other. It's behind the intake plenum, and a real PITA to access.

First let me just say that you guys are great! I love how much the members of this forum look out for one another. Second, the location of that back crossover does indeed look to be a PIA to get to but fingers crossed that may be it. Being a Noob I’m going to drain some transmission fluid out of the reservoir to compare to what’s been coming out. We had some rain when this all happened so the viscosity of what I had running down may be off a little. I’ll check that and let everyone know what I find. Thanks again for the input and the photos, it’s all a huge help.

That would be immaculately clean tranny fluid. My vote would be coolant as well. Did you taste it? Or smell it? They are very different and easy to discern. The rear pipe is not the easiest access but it’s doable in an afternoon. You are also able to take off that plate to look inside. I can’t remember and someone can chime in but i think there is a drain behind that cover.

That would be immaculately clean tranny fluid. My vote would be coolant as well. Did you taste it? Or smell it? They are very different and easy to discern. The rear pipe is not the easiest access but it’s doable in an afternoon. You are also able to take off that plate to look inside. I can’t remember and someone can chime in but i think there is a drain behind that cover.
Agreed. Unless you just changed your tranny fluid yesterday, and even then, I don't think it's that color.

Doesn't tranny fluid smell awful also?

Ok, as always, a huge thx to everyone for their input. I have not recently changed the transmission fluid and it does not smell
Like Ass so at least regarding the Tranny I think my “worst case” scenario is slowly coming back down to reality. I’m on the road right now so don’t have access to the vehicle but I’ve been doing a lot of YouTube research and I’m beginning to understand what you are all talking about. Does anyone have a part number for the crossover pipe? Based on the engine design it appears that it could be either the forward or rear. Also it looks like a good time to go ahead and change out the starter preemptively since I’ll be there. Anything else that I should consider doing while I have the manifold removed ? Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate all of your insights 👍🏻

Ok, as always, a huge thx to everyone for their input. I have not recently changed the transmission fluid and it does not smell
Like Ass so at least regarding the Tranny I think my “worst case” scenario is slowly coming back down to reality. I’m on the road right now so don’t have access to the vehicle but I’ve been doing a lot of YouTube research and I’m beginning to understand what you are all talking about. Does anyone have a part number for the crossover pipe? Based on the engine design it appears that it could be either the forward or rear. Also it looks like a good time to go ahead and change out the starter preemptively since I’ll be there. Anything else that I should consider doing while I have the manifold removed ? Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate all of your insights 👍🏻

That's how I did it as well. Intake gaskets, crossover pipe gaskets (almost guaranteed you don't need a new pipe), and a new starter as one big job.

Clean out the V? IDK what else is to be done in there.

Does anyone have a part number for the crossover pipe? Based on the engine design it appears that it could be either the forward or rear.

You'll want to look back there first. But often times a coolant leak at the rear of the engine will be due to the rear cross over (bypass).

Generally.... one of the two gaskets or the stand up pipe that is pressed into it. Any of the hoses back there should be inspected as well (might not be your cross-over) so don't order anything prematurely. Hopefully your Heater Tees have already been replaced.

IF you need the cross-over/bypass then I believe the part is: 16356-50120 (but double check)

Gaskets (2) are: 16341-50020
Flange Nuts (4): 90179-08153
Studs (4): 92122-80822

Your studs and nuts are probably re-usable (unless corroded).

But DO make certain the source of your leak before ordering anything.

I think before you start tearing stuff apart and basing your problem on other peoples experience is not a good way forward.

Unless you want to just take a guess at the problem you need to clean off everything first and monitor the leak. If it doesn't seem to be starting from any higher than what your looking at then you shouldn't be focusing on the coolant line or anything higher up in the engine bay for that matter.

Just touch it and see if it feels like oil or water. Either way it all leads back to your first step should be cleaning it all up and watching it to see where it starts from.

Good advice for sure, Thx Mike NXp 👍🏻. I’m back in town today and now that it’s not raining I intend to do just that. I’ll keep posting what I discover as the adventure continues. Thank you all once again for all of the insight, truly a lifesaver.

Good advice for sure, Thx Mike NXp 👍🏻. I’m back in town today and now that it’s not raining I intend to do just that. I’ll keep posting what I discover as the adventure continues. Thank you all once again for all of the insight, truly a lifesaver.

Cool , keep us posted and make sure you check / top off fluids since it may have been leaking for a while.

I guess my point was just to always follow basic troubleshooting steps since not everyones problem is the same. These forums have a way of getting people to just throw parts at their cruisers to fix what isn't broken. A perfect example is the users trying to fix" the clunk ". Ive seen countless replies of people who just rebuilt their diff bushings , cv, hub flange , control arm bushings etc. all just to say ..... well I still have the clunk .

Being a Noob I’m going to drain some transmission fluid out of the reservoir to compare to what’s been coming out.
I do hope that is a typo. 100 series do not have transmission reservoir, you can drain from or look at.

Once in awhile, when I replace Tees. I forget to reset one clamp. I get that leak, and it comes out on first start up, once system topped fully (air bled out) with coolant.

If tee hose clamp not put back in same position (back into indention in rubber hose exactly) they sometimes weep, not usually leak like that.

Another leak after a Tee R&R, that we see in the forum. Is pipe to water bypass joint rear. That's pipe is on DS that comes up from rear water bypass joint, which the short rubber elbow hose attaches to. If to much side pressure put on that pipe, removing hose or tees. It comes out or loosen in from the water bypass joint rear, which it's only pressed into. You can see that point in picture above, just above to right of red circle..

Always best to look at work performed last and most recently.

I’d put money on it being coolant. What is the level in the overflow bottle?

If you have a pH meter you can test the liquid and confirm coolant or oil. And you can always taste it to confirm 😅 seriously - it’s bitter-sweet taste-

Yeah you can monitor but what ever is leaking be it heater tee or bypass, it could fail while your “monitoring”. Coolant loss is the deathnel of a 2UZFE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom