Transmission Jack Needed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I looks like I am going to have to pull the transmission/transfer case on my 1986 FJ60. The clutch will not release and I am afraid something is bad wrong inside. I live 50 miles from the nearest rental place and I do not know if they have a transmission jack. I have read several threads where guys removed transmission on floor jacks (which I have access to). However, I do not relish the idea of trying to manhandle something that weighs over 300 lbs (is that a good estimate?). I would appreciate any suggestions.

Heartworm said:
I looks like I am going to have to pull the transmission/transfer case on my 1986 FJ60. The clutch will not release and I am afraid something is bad wrong inside. I live 50 miles from the nearest rental place and I do not know if they have a transmission jack. I have read several threads where guys removed transmission on floor jacks (which I have access to). However, I do not relish the idea of trying to manhandle something that weighs over 300 lbs (is that a good estimate?). I would appreciate any suggestions.

Don't use a floor jack! A tranny jack is helpful taking it out. An engine hoist used through a door is easier for reinstall. It's heavy and a difficult shape to manhandle. I would estimate 250 pounds.

If the clutch won't release, did you check the condition of the master and slave cylinders? Also pull off the inspection cover under the bellhousing and check it out before you go to all the work of pulling the tranny. Diagnose the problem before deciding on the solution.

i removed the transmission/transfer wit just floor jacks and a chain but it was definitely a PITA. Putting back in i had a transmission jack and i dont know if i could have done it without it. At any rate it woulda sucked.

Brian

An option that is sometimes used on 40s (might work on 60s) is to lay a large piece of lumber across the front door sills and use a comealong to lift the tranny. Can you tell if the clutch disc is in backwards?

I have this transmission jack from harborfreight. The platform is really too small to hold the transmission/transfer combo under it's center of mass, so I use a piece of plywood and then block the transmission to keep it level. It's still a pain getting the transmission back installed (it's all about alignment), but with patience and perserverence I've been successful three or four times. But it's not like I'm looking forward to the next time.

Pulling and installing a tranny/t-case combo is a pain, but if all you need to do is get to the clutch then the tranny only needs to be dropped and moved back some. I've used a real tranny jack for this but found that the platform was too small to adequately support the tranny + t-case. Not learning from past experience I purchased a tranny adapter from Northern Tool that fits on a floor jack, waste of $$.

Last time I used a floor jack, two stock jacks, and two wheel around things (these are the wheeled shallow supports that go under each tire of a non-running car or truck so that the vehicle can be moved around. Clear as mud?). I had the floor jack under the tranny and a stock jack on either side of the crossmember and this setup worked ok. I could make small adjustments front to back and side to side. While this worked I was careful, it was still a somewhat precarious setup.

Take one of the bolts that bolts the tranny to the bellhousing to a good nut & bolt store and buy some with the same thread size and pitch but much longer. Cut the head and notch it so that a flathead screwdriver will fit. Use these in the two upper bellhousing holes as guides when reinstalling the tranny.

However you do it, it will be a huge PITA simply because of the bulk and weight of the tranny & t-case.

I used the one from Harbour Freight that attaches to the top of a floor jack and it worked awesome. Don't use a chain to secute the tranny to the jack, use tie down straps instead. Way easier to locate the trans right. Also, if you remove the crossmember at the back ot the trans the tranny mount (rubber) is nice and flat. Fits in the trans adapter real nice. Yes you have to hold the trans up with something else while you do this. I used the bottle jack

Good Luck

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom